585,692 active members*
5,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

A show of hands.....

I was just curious as to who on here uses Mach3 as opposed to EMC2.... I am very seriously considering moving over to EMC2 and wanted to know just how many of you are either already there or thinking about it. I really like Mach3 but I just wonder what the stability of EMC2 and the other features that Mach does not currently support does for the overall machining experience... So if you could please just post once what system you are running and maybe add a couple comments about it. Thanks in advance guys and peace...

Pete

EMC2

It was free so I gave it a try. I'm really impressed by it as a free product and I think I'll be sticking with it. My movement to TTS type tools is addressing the biggest gripe I have with it right now listed below.

the Ups:
    I prefer the more simple, less distracting, interface and it is possible to add screen gizmos later if you want for most of the common functions.

I can connect to the network with little fear of getting any infections to include internet access. It can connect to my shared folders so I simply generate my CAM on the windows box and run it right off the share or copy it over without fussing with thumb drives.

There are some really nice cards that it supports to eliminate software step-gen if you want want to run microstepping drives really fast.

There are a growing number of wizards you can run for simple machining steps like pocketing, facing, drilling, and text engraving.

The Downs:
    It's pickier about hardware so finding a really good machine seems to be more difficult. Older hardware seems to often work better than newer multi-core, hyper-threading, low energy, stuff. I have a rather fast little Dell but the latency numbers on it are not good. They seem to work nice with some ATOM-based boards.

No movement in tool-change. This one I HATE! When you prompt for a tool change you can not jog the axis to touch off the new tool while the program is paused. Unless you are using tools with defined lengths that repeat exactly then tool-change prompts are useless. You have to break a program up if you do stuff like swap bits in the drill chuck. They need to fix that and stop explaining why it's hard. That is a big missing feature.

Linux has a learning curve. You can probably get the thing going without much knowledge but to really tune it up you will need to have a basic understanding of Linux. If you need something not in the stepconf wizard then you have to be ready to edit the machine definition text file.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Pete, I use mach but it isn't Mach that is unstable it is windows. I have thought about switching to stop system crashes but I am working on getting Mach to run on netbsd and if I cant get that to work I will use an embedded OS to only run mach 3.

The embedded OS is complected because I have to build the OS image to the specific computer. but in the event of a total crash I can just replace the OS image on the comp and I'm back up and running. Also XP embedded with mach3 installed only takes up 300Mb =]. use a compact flash card to cut out hard driver errors and you can boot the system in under 25 seconds, and just kill the power to the pc and not worry about data loss or corruption.

Edit: no one really needs to put there CNC pc on the network.... cut out that possibility of infection and just copy the g-code with a USB stick.

I don't have a running CNC Mill yet, but the router I built last year has Mach3 running on a Core2 quad PC w/ 2 gigs of ram & Windows XP-sp2 that has been optimized according to Mach's recommendations. It's been solid as a rock & has run flawlessly for a year now without as much as a hiccup.

I've already built a similar PC for my mill & certainly hope for the same kind of results.

Emc2

I fell in love with it when I was testing it on a smallish router table. I tried it because it was free and kept with it because it works and is very very very powerful (yes that was 3 verys). We wanted something that was scalable. We have a few large old nc machines that need converting. (one is pretty close to done [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39q6kvrSBSk"]YouTube - Kearney and Trecker CNC running simple program. (tool changing and everything)[/nomedia] )

You can get really cheap hardware that will do external step generation for <$100 and analog servo interface hardware for <$200. In the above video - I ended up with 96 i/o and 10 axis of analog servo interface (+/-10v output and high speed differential encoder counters) for around $566. Very very happy. Emc doesn't need expensive motion cards for larger projects.

so - you can run anything from a few axis stepper machine to a multi axis machining center/lathes. (even hexapods and robot arms) Open loop, closed loop... (true closed loop within emc - just like the big boys) stepper drives, servo step drives and industry standard +/-10v drives.

Also - emc has integrated ladder logic. I used it on my HMC conversion for things like tool change and pallet transfers. No issues what so ever.

as far as the jog while paused issue - it may be added in the future. I never knew I was missing anything until reading posts on here . I have had good luck doing 'run from line'.

I use Mach on a fairly modern AMD machine. Computer parts are so cheap these days, there's really not much point in hunting for an old 486 to "save money"

A modern, bottom of the line board, AMD CPU, memory, power supply and hard drive will only set you back a couple of hundred, and will pay for itself in less exasperation and less electricity used. I think my system cost $250, and I just went into Fry's and picked out the cheapest items I could find. Shop online, and you could probably build the same system for under $200.

As for crashes, I haven't had one yet. I installed XP and Macaffee Antivirus, downloaded all the updates for both, and then took the machine off of the network. It will likely never need to go online again. And without the outside interference of malicious programs, network traffic, and other installed programs, it has been rock solid.

I have been running Mach on XP for 3 or 4 years. It has never missed a beat. Zero problems. I always wonder about comments regarding stability.

To answer the question, I have considered looking at EMC only out of curiosity. Can't see leaving a stable, familiar setup.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I'm starting to look at EMC as a replacement for mach. I have mach running my plasma table currently.

I'm really interested in some of the higher end positioning stuff that EMC does, like closed loop. I read some of their docs about using limit switches plus encoders for homing. The way that works, you can have it run the axis up to a limit switch, then back the other way til it gets an encoder pulse, and that's your home position. That way, your homing accuracy is based on your encoder precision rather than your limit switch repeatability.

I'm imagining that it can probably do some of the same sort of thing for closed loop feedback. My thought is to put an encoder wheel and optical pickup on all my motor couplings, and my hope is that EMC will be able to use those for feedback.
    Ian

Why would it be more accurate if it still depends on first hitting a limit switch for reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    I'm starting to look at EMC as a replacement for mach. I have mach running my plasma table currently.

I'm really interested in some of the higher end positioning stuff that EMC does, like closed loop. I read some of their docs about using limit switches plus encoders for homing. The way that works, you can have it run the axis up to a limit switch, then back the other way til it gets an encoder pulse, and that's your home position. That way, your homing accuracy is based on your encoder precision rather than your limit switch repeatability.

I'm imagining that it can probably do some of the same sort of thing for closed loop feedback. My thought is to put an encoder wheel and optical pickup on all my motor couplings, and my hope is that EMC will be able to use those for feedback.

The limit switch only has to get you within 1 rotation of the encoder. Then it can search for the index pulse within that encoder rotation. Very accurate.

sam

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Why would it be more accurate if it still depends on first hitting a limit switch for reference?

Ok so.....

So far that sounds like four for Mach3 and three for EMC2.... As I said I am interested in EMC2 for several reasons, mostly for the possibility of encoder feedback for true closed loop operation, Rigid tapping, never even knew about the limit switch thing but it sounds pretty cool too. I also do not believe I have ever had any problems with my computer or Mach3 so the advice about the computer was not needed really. My machine has been running for nearly a year now and gets run pretty hard sometimes with the only problems coming from me fat fingering settings in my cam software. The machine always does what it is told to do and has thus far only let me down once with that broken ballnut mount. Fixed that and now it is better and more rigid than ever. I am only seriously looking at using EMC2 because of all the amazing things it is capable of that thus far mach is not... Many are more commercial offerings and what you see on high end equipment. Mach is great too but lacks these significant features. Specifically the rigid tapping is a big one.... Peace

Pete

Yeah, the stability of Windows thing is often overblown. In an application like this where your not installing 20 different apps then if you are having problems keeping windows alive there is a problem with the user or the hardware (in general). I do feel a bit safer with Linux to leave it on the network than an old un-patched XP box but that's not important to many.

When you look at big machines that get converted it's generally always EMC2 driving them. It's really easy to give it a try to. The live CD means you can turn on the computer. Boot the CD and setup the machine and play around. Save the config directory to a thumb drive when you are done and reboot back to your old setup.

I'm probably going to go to some type of hardware stepping and there seems to be a lot more out there for EMC2.

I mean outside a missing feature and aesthetics there is not much to argue about between them. They both get you to the same place pretty much. I'd say no need to sit on the fence. Burn the Live CD and give it a whirl.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Pete, I have been using EMC2 for about 3 and half years. I have to tell you that I love EMC2. I'm not even using close to the full capacity of it, but I love it. The screen can be adjusted for your likings (Same as Mach3) but mine is so simple it's set-up just for what I need it to be.

I ran EMC2 on a few different computers until I finally was able to match it with the G540 and a old dell. Been running like a champ for years, have not skipped a step in some time and I think you can even add a smooth stepper along the way so that the stepper board takes all " brunt" of the processing power.

Plus my shop computer is integrated into my Machine (Was going for a Haas look) so It's nothing more than a Mill Driver. I don't use internet on it, I don't use other programs, it's simply used for uploading files and running the machine. I <3 It.

-Jason

Speeds.....

I also have my machines computer isolated. It is doing nothing more than running the computer altho I do have my Sheetcam software as well as Alibre installed on it tho I seldom use them. What do you mean you had to try different computers to find one that worked? Is EmC choosy about the computer that it runs on or is it just the parallel port thing. As far as the smooth stepper goes, well, I really do not see the need for it and since it does not have backash compensation( I do not use it) on it I really do not see the need for it. My machine runs really smooth and quiet and I get all the speed I can handle out of it. If I really wanted crank up my rapids I would just change my AMD encoder resolution settings and crank it up some more but really 150IPM I have it set to on all axes is already more than I can handle. I do not see the need for the extra cost, complexity, or the possible extra thing to break on the machine so I do not use one. The EMC2 software looks really good and as has been mentioned many rather large and elaborate machines as well as robotic arms have been configured with it so there is no doubt about the power of the system. Couple that with the fact that it can do more than Mach3 does and it seems like a no brainer and it is even free!! I am still not sure what I am gonna do but I think at this point I am gonna find me a clear DVD and burn me a copy to test it out. It seems like far too many people are using it and love it. For me and my machine Mach3 does everything I have needed so far but it would really be cool to have rigid tapping and closed loop feedback somehow. I realize that Mach can do semi rigid tapping with a tension compression head or even a reversing head but ya gotta admit watching the machine do all the work is just plain cool... Peace

Pete

I know this doesnt help, because I do something totally different. I run highspeed 3D wax cutting. I have 4 small desktop cncs all running with mach 3. granted you are wanting features that I will never use, but mach 3 on a clean pc is near bullet proof, but not idiot proof.

I have been using mach way before it was called mach 3. I love the fact that they got a control system and made it work in a windows environment. I have run many dos apps, MAXNC crap software, turbocnc ect. To be able to do all that it does in a windows environment is a testament!

I will admit, I had thoughts a few years ago about trying emc but man, for what I am doing, I dont see the need to go thru the hassle! What I have works, and works well. I got many other cad/cam softwares to spend my time learning. I dont have the time to try and learn a control software.

Just food for thought. How long will it take to setup/program/load tool for tapping? Now take that time and compare it to using the machine to drill the hole and a drill press/ tapping head to bang out the threads.

As in, the first computer I had was way to old and had the wrong components in it, it also didn't work well with the old drivers I had when I first started out.

I simply switched computers that was better for EMC2 and thats it.

-Jason

I have tested emc on quite a bit of computer hardware (I cannot program that well - so I try to help out by testing/troubleshooting emc packages). I know I have had a few I could not get to work, but for the most part, emc has worked on most everything I have installed it on. Sometimes it may take installing a video card (emc doesn't like shared video memory* same as mach from what I have read).

I test the latency of the mother board by running opengl programs (like glxgears), stream youtube videos, Copy stuff to and from a usb drive, copy something over a network/ hd. Normally this all works great.

I like to be able to do things on the computer that is running the machine. With the realtime extentions that emc2 uses - it just works. (the rtai keeps plugging along - while everything else takes a back seat.

(this was testing to see what happens when the computer goes into swap)
    http://www.electronicsam.com/images/...nt4-26ghz1.png
    (look at the task bar) no delays.

sam

I just tested this system this afternoon. (asus m2n68-am plus motherboard with amd phenom x4 9600b (quad core 2.3ghz)) This was running about 20+ minutes - installing flash for youtube and general setup. (running totally off the livecd.) Not stellar - but seems to be stable.

sam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot.jpg  

Mach 3 is very stable on a decent computer, I've never had a problem with this setup.
    One of the things I like about it is the easy to customize screens.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQp8RNsynfo"]YouTube - Mach 3 and the Internet[/nomedia]

Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Hoss....

Again I agree that there is nothing wrong with mach and I truly like the program since I have been using it. I just want to do some of the stuff that EMC can that Mach currently cannnot. The stability of the system is just a bonus really. My machine has run for many many hours now on Mach3 and sometimes it is on out there all day running so no complaints here just looking for some greener pastures is all... peace

Pete

Page 1 of 4 123