585,670 active members*
4,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > contimplaring mill/lathe options need advise

contimplaring mill/lathe options need advise

Hey guys im looking at the g9972z lathe and g0619 mill talk me into it or not, im building r/c parts and other various small items mostly aluminum and plan to cnc both, so let's here your opinions....but these are the 2 machines im highly considering any pros and cons let it roll....input needed thanks

Own and produce the data, (CAD design and Gcode)

Rent the machine,
    (until your production justifies owning a machine.)
    Been doing this too long

Actually gonna purchase a mill and lathe for sure either way for personal delight, in hopes of larger units to be added in the future, but really never heard of renting till I went to Grizzlys site.....interesting.....

Actually gonna purchase a mill and lathe for sure either way for personal delight, in hopes of larger units to be added in the future, but really never heard of renting till I went to Grizzlys site.....interesting.....

I was in the same boat. Rc parts and a few other various projects. I decided on a G0704 mill and G0602 lathe. Going to cnc the mill and run the lathe manual for a while. I would not talk you out of it. Just know that you will need a lot of end mills and you will use them up so ensure you figure that expense in.

Also check to see if you can purchase stock locally. I live in Wichita the avaition capital of thw world and I can get stock very cheap around here. Small pieces even free as I can get scraps. As for RC parts 7075-T6 is not cheap anywhere so look for ways to maximize use off all your stock with minimal waste. Also looking into building you own forge and you can repurpose your chips and waste with casting. Just some thoughts from a fellow average guy.

Sent from my Droid
    Jeremiah
    PM45 CNC Build in Progress

Reading this takes me back, and you are about to head down a LOOOOOONG road. I bought my X2 mill wanting to make a motor mount for my HPI Savage X. I have yet to make that part and have WAY more than my little CNCed X2 now. I dont know about that mill but it looks like a X3 and I know alot of guys have problems with the head bobbing on the X3. You need to look at the size of your parts you want to make and get a machine with travels more than what you think you will need. For the $1400 you are looking at spending on what looks to be an X3 you might as well go for the ZX-45. I decided to upgrade to the ZX-45 so I could produce RC car TVP's on a 1/8 scale.

What kind of RC car parts are you planning on making?

I've heard its a SX-3 mill

Its is all about the size of the parts you want to make and quality of production.

Im looking to build r/c parts and 1/4 scale sprint car parts and quality within reason would be nice, but also thinking about powder coating and anodising the parts also if tool marks are to much to buff out

Is the zx-45 the grizzly g0519, that's a possiblity if so $2000.00 for a larger unit and are cnc kits relitively same priced for both

Are you needing a bolt on CNC kit?
    The X3/SX3 has kits available from Cncfusion.com, the RF45s only option for a kit is to wait months
    for an Industrial Hobbies kit (very flaky these days)
    or contact Microkinetics to see if they have a kit available yet.
    The g0519 is an RF45 but a pretty weakly powered one.
    you can get an idea how big these machines are here.
    Mill Comparisons
    You should look at the new PM30LV that Precision Mathews is getting in next month.
    Same travels as the RF45 but weighs 200lbs less and costs less, plenty of power and rigidity.
    PM-MV Milling Machines
    You're on your own to make a kit but there are a few threads going already on here.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Racer that is AWESOME. I have always wanted a 1/4 sprint. My family has raced sprints for years and we own a powder coating company based in Ohio.

hoss thanks for the PM30LV thats very tempting and possibly gonna go that route hows the machine for durability and rigidity, that S.O.B. has tons of features and priced right, and free freight, does it get any better WOW

Man, if that 30LV had been available when I ordered I think that is the route I would have gone. I went for the PM-25 because the travels were better and I hated paying more for the 1/2 horse and and longer Y but then lose some on the X.

The PM-45 is not much more but it would have been a mother to get to the basement and realistically probably too big for the space I have.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by RACER99 View Post
    Im looking to build r/c parts and 1/4 scale sprint car parts and quality within reason would be nice, but also thinking about powder coating and anodising the parts also if tool marks are to much to buff out
    You don't want to Anodize anything with tool marks that you don't want to see. Cause they will be even more noticeable. Best course for ease of use would be to use a vibratory polisher then Anodize. I'm not to sure but I think you can hide tool marks if they are shallow with powder coating but it weights more and also is thicker than Anodizing.

I like the BF30 but am going the G0704/BF20 route. I want to be sure I can get it down the stairs to the basement and also back up the stairs when it's time to move into my shop once it's built.

Ya now I can't decide that to do I budgeted $2000 per machine and the PM30 and PM45 fit the bill size and weight are not an issue so kinda really contimplating the PM line seriously now any input on durability, customer service, ect.....