585,719 active members*
4,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help with wires

i just receive my steeper motors form ebay i got cd also but... is all in Chinese how to connect these cables from steeper motors to the board i got 6 cables from each motor green,red,black,yellow white, blue and on the board i got "MIN GND MOUT" "XA- XA+ XB- XB+" " YA- YA+ YB- YB+" " ZA- ZA+ ZB-ZB+" "GND 12/36V"

and then on power supply i got "v- v- v-" "v+ v+ v+" "ground N L"

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post

and then on power supply i got "v- v- v-" "v+ v+ v+" "ground N L"
    The power supply labeling sounds like the following:

"v+ v+ v+" DC voltage positive output terminals

"v- v- v-" DC voltage negative output terminals

L 120 volt AC (black) hot wire

N 120 volt AC (white) neutral wire

Ground powerline ground

Quote Originally Posted by linkintiger View Post
    i just receive my steeper motors form ebay i got cd also but... is all in Chinese how to connect these cables from steeper motors to the board i got 6 cables from each motor green,red,black,yellow white, blue and on the board i got "MIN GND MOUT" "XA- XA+ XB- XB+" " YA- YA+ YB- YB+" " ZA- ZA+ ZB-ZB+" "GND 12/36V"

It sounds to me like your driver board is set up to drive 4-wire bipolar stepper motors, and it is set up to handle 3 axes (X, Y, and Z).

So, for the X-axis motor, the terminals marked "XA- XA+ XB- XB+" represent the four wires from the motor. A represents one motor winding, while B represents the other motor winding. Within the A winding, the + terminal represents one wire and the - terminal represents the other wire; ditto within the B winding, for a total of 4 wires to connect to the board.

A 6-wire stepper motor can be used as if it were a 4-wire motor (by using 4 of the wires and leaving 2 of the wires unconnected - the trick is to figure out which wires to use and which ones to leave unconnected).

First, you need to separate the wires into two groups of 3 wires each (the A group of wires and the B group of wires) - use a multimeter on the resistance ("ohms") scale to locate 3 wires that are electrically connected to each other. The remaining 3 wires should have conductivity within that group, but should not show a connection to the other group of 3 wires.

Then, within each group of 3 wires, you need to figure out which 2 wires to connect to the driver board terminals, and the third wire you will just leave unconnected (but you will want to put some electrical tape on the end of the wire to make sure that it does not accidentally short out to some other wire). To do that, measure the resistance between each pair of wires (in other words, make 3 resistance measurements, for example, if you label the wires 1, 2, and 3, then measure the resistance from wire 1 to 2, then measure from 1 to 3, and finally measure from 2 to 3). The pair of wires that shows the largest resistance value is the pair of wires that you will connect to the + and - terminals for the A winding of the selected axis. Then repeat for the B winding of that axis.

It's easier to do it than to describe it in words...

As far as hooking up the other terminals on your board, I'd need more information to be sure.

You will at least need to hook up the V+ and V- terminals from your power supply, and you might also need to connect a lower-voltage (12 volt?) DC supply to power a fan and/or the logic circuitry on your driver board.

thx for the info

Hello Folks

I have the same controller with the same 6 wires steppers.

I tried to test the wires as described in your post , but i realized that i have no resistance between the Brown-Orange, and Blue-Yellow, and no connection between the red and green wires.

Can someone help me to make my diy cnc work. i am just a beginner

Thank you

A+ black A- green B+ red B- blue white and yellow leave unconnected.

Thank for your replay , but may be the colors are not the same, here is a picture, can you plz tell me wich wire geos to the controller

Thank you very much

sorry i have different colors

Make sure that your multimeter is set to the lowest resistance (ohms) scale, because you will probably be looking at small values of resistance in the windings.

Here's what I just did with one of my motors. The motor had green, yellow, black, blue, red, and white wires.

I started with the green wire and tested the resistance to every other wire (making sure that while I was doing the test, none of the bare wire ends were touching each other).

The results from green were as follows:

to white, no connection
    to yellow, 8.6 ohms
    to red, no connection
    to blue, no connection
    to black, 16.5 ohms.

So, the result of this test is the following:

1) I believe that green, yellow, and black comprise one winding (call it winding 'A'), and just to make sure, I check the resistance between yellow and black, finding that it is 8.8 ohms. Therefore I conclude that for the A winding, my A+ and A- wires will be green and black, and I will tape off the yellow wire and leave it unconnected.

2) I also believe that red, white, and blue comprise the other winding (call it winding 'B').

For my next test, I will check the resistance from the red wire to the white wire, from the red wire to the blue wire, and from the white wire to the blue wire. I find the following:

red to white, 8.8 ohms

red to blue 16.6 ohms

blue to white, 8.8 ohms

Based on the results of this test:

3) I conclude that for the B winding, red and blue will be my B+ and B- wires, and I will tape off the white wire and leave it unconnected.

If you can run a similar test, please post all of your results as I did here.

Thanks for your replay
    i did what you said, but no good result ,i confirm my first results Brown-Orange, and Blue-Yellow are connected.

may be i have to use another multimeter. i will buy a new one tomorow

I suppose that it's possible that even though you have 6 wires coming off of the connector, only 4 of them are actually connected inside the motor housing, and so you would effectively have a "4-wire stepper motor".

Ok on my 6 stepper motor the red , blue are on one coil and have the highest ohms resistance and on the other coil the brown , green same thing . now when I hook up how do I know which color goes ( red , blue ) to - and + like on XA- XA+ or does it matter

It shouldn't matter which one you connect to + and which one you connect to -.

The only difference that it would make is which direction (clockwise or counter-clockwise) the motor spins for a given signal voltage setting on the "direction" input pin of your driver board, but you should be able to define that in software regardless of which wiring choice(s) you make (probably as part of your initial software setup of Mach 3 or EMC2 or similar software when you select the parallel port to use).

I just want to make sure I don't blow the board up , as long as blue , red are XA - or + and brown , green are XB - or + it should work . what would happen if you mixed the wires from A + B . I suppose the board or atleast the axis would smoke

I haven't tried doing that, and so this is just a guess...

After doing a quick "thought experiment", my conclusion is that I actually do not think that it would smoke a typical driver circuit. Rather, I would expect that the voltages and currents that would be applied to the motor windings would remain within the normal range (for the motor and for the driver), and I also believe that it should not cause a short circuit.

However I'd have to think a bit about exactly what behavior it would exhibit if miswired in that way (and that behavior would almost certainly be different depending on whether the motor was intended to be driven with full steps, half steps, or in some micro-stepping mode).

My brain hurts if I try to think about it too much, but maybe someone else will chime in with their analysis...

Having said that, it should be noted that TB6560 boards such as the one that you are using have been known to get damaged from other causes. One cause, for example, might be due to connecting or disconnecting motor wires or the DC voltage supply for the motors while the motor or board power supply is turned on, so that's something that definitely should be avoided.