585,667 active members*
3,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Thermwood retrofit nema 42 servo ac or dc drive

Thermwood retrofit nema 42 servo ac or dc drive

I have a 5 x 10 cnc router with 2 z's the log axis is rack and all the rest is ball screw. Everything is 2 turns per inch of travel. I want to be at 1000" per min range when done. This is what the machine started at when new. It has Dc servo motors on it now. 16amp Cont. at 180Volt 75 Amp max, 4500 rpm is on the tag. I want to run it with step and direction. new ac motors and drives is my wish. The budget is about $5000 max . so far granite divice drives look like my only option for not starting over. The servos from salecnc.com look great, but 1000watt looks like the largest nema 42. Any larger than the nema 42, will require a bunch of clearance modification. Looks like the salecns motors and drives may be the best bang for the Buck. Any advice is great! We are cutting 3/4" material for comercial cabinet production. Aka.andyworks at gmail com Thanks!!!

Any input from anyone as to what direction i should go in. Thanks

Did you check with Larken Viper drives?
    I believe these are in that upper range?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Andy,why are you doing a retrofit?Are the drives and servos toast?What is the model#of the thermwood?
    Larry
    L GALILEO THE EPOXY SURFACE PLATE IS FLAT

The router is a C50 1993 I think it is ok we have not even tried it. I know the 9100 controll will not do what I want. I was not finding any large drives, but I contacted Larken and his new drive will work. I want to make sure we could buy extra parts and fix the router our selves when we have truble. We do a lot of work that we get paid extra on for doing jobs overnight and in short times. Any thing we cant fix can cost us thousands real quick. I did look for the Pixie pwm card but can not contact that guy. I am thinking I am going to buy Larken and buy extra drives, and look for extra Baldore motors to replace anything that give me truble. Am I going in the smart Direction? Thanks

Andy,

I sent u an email with another option.