585,575 active members*
4,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > HF 3 Jaw chuck -- reversible jaws?

HF 3 Jaw chuck -- reversible jaws?

I have the HF 8x12 lathe. It comes with a 4" 3 Jaw chuck. The specs say the jaws are reversible. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to do that. I can take the jaws out of the chuck with no problem. However, if I flip them over so that I can chuck larger pieces, the grooves in the jaws are going in the wrong direction to engage the spiral scroll in the chuck head.

There must be something obvious I am missing ...

Did you get it new? My 11x26 says the same but it actually is an extra set included in the tool kit that is the reversible jaws.

JTCUSTOMS

Yes, I did purchase it new. However, it is not out of the question they could have made a mistake in what they packed. There is one extra jaw, but it is a replica of a jaw I have already.

Unfortunately, I have had the lathe for over a year, so I doubt they would be willing to correct a mistake now.

So, reversible jaws actually means two sets of jaws that you can change out?

If so, I probably need something like the outside jaws from LMS:
    LittleMachineShop.com - Jaws, Outside for 4" 3-Jaw Chuck

Based on this tip, I looked closely at the owners manual. Sure enough, buried down in the parts list it says, "3 reverse jaws for chuck". I am guessing these are the parts they missed packing. I will scour my lathe toolbox closely, but I don't remember ever seeing these.

Every 3 jaw chuck I have owned has came with inner and outer jaws.... or so called reversible jaws. It should have came with a set for clamping to the inside of a part and a set for clamping to the outside of a part.

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    Every 3 jaw chuck I have owned has came with inner and outer jaws.... or so called reversible jaws. It should have came with a set for clamping to the inside of a part and a set for clamping to the outside of a part.
    The chuck on my 14x40 has reversible jaws that actually just unbolt and flip then re-install so no extra set to lose

JTCUSTOMS

My 4 jaw is like that but how is that even possible on a 3 Jaw? Does it use a scroll?

Yes it is a scroll but the jaws are bolted to the inserts for the scroll
    they have 2 bolts that bolt through the face of the jaw and are keyed to the insert just unbolt and flip
    similar to this one but larger http://cdn8.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg1000/s/sb1310.jpg

JTCUSTOMS

Ahhh, my dads South Bend is like this.

Found parts

Sure enough, down at the bottom of my parts bin are the 3 outside jaws. I did not realize what they were when I first unpacked the lathe and eventually I forgot all about them. Nothing is so obvious that it cannot be a mystery to a beginner. I think "interchangeable" or would be a better term than "reversible".

Anyway, many thanks to everyone for the clarification!

pratt burnerd Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rgarrett7 View Post
    I have the HF 8x12 lathe. It comes with a 4" 3 Jaw chuck. The specs say the jaws are reversible. So far, I have not been able to figure out how to do that. I can take the jaws out of the chuck with no problem. However, if I flip them over so that I can chuck larger pieces, the grooves in the jaws are going in the wrong direction to engage the spiral scroll in the chuck head.

There must be something obvious I am missing ...
    Your manual says "reverse jaws" not reversable. this is a Asia term from the forward and reverse jaws as opposed to the european insdie and outside term