585,602 active members*
3,634 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CO2 right choice?

Hey guys,

Quick question (hopefully). I'm looking to cut extremely thin metal (maybe 0.5 mm or so) and it can be anything from aluminum to steel, to tin, etc. (it doesn't matter...whatever is easiest to cut).

I've read that I might need over 100W for a CO2 laser. I was looking at Fiber lasers also and could use less power but the prices seem like they're about 10x that of CO2.

I'd love to go with a good quality 60W unit like the Epilog which would be in my budget but am afraid the requirements I'm looking for are pushing units quickly out of my price range.

I won't be cutting thick metals or anything else other than what I mentioned (other than the occasional acrylic, etc. (if I have those abilities with a CO2)).

Does anyone have any machines that they recommend? What about the type of laser and what price ranges are we talking about?

Thanks for any help!

You can't cut metal with the low watt co2 lasers. The wave lengths aren't right. High watt like 2000+ can. I have seen one 250w setup that can cut thin metals. But this guy runs pressurized oxygen into the beam path. It works, but to me it's very dangerous. I'm sure he has taken all the precautions, but It's just not something I want to play with. DIY CNC CO2 Laser Site

Theoretically you can cut thin metals with 100 Wt and oxygen, but for sure better have 200 Wt CO2 laser and oxygen. Visit Synrad site to find proper laser for your application.

Kern's 150 W can cut metals using an oxygen feed. Large Format Industrial Laser Cutting and Laser Engraving System

the CO2 is low power for the steel cutting. and that demand on your budget if you really need the laser machine for steel,

the CO2 is low power for the steel cutting (wrong)

help

hola soy de argentina tengo un laser co2 de 20w, quisiera que alguien me ayude a poder configurar el pwm en mach3 para controlar el grabado, y que me envien algun circuito para interfaz... le agradeceria la respuesta.. !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by simaqc View Post
    hola soy de argentina tengo un laser co2 de 20w, quisiera que alguien me ayude a poder configurar el pwm en mach3 para controlar el grabado, y que me envien algun circuito para interfaz... le agradeceria la respuesta.. !!!!
    From Google Translate:
    "Hi I'm from Argentina I have a 20w co2 laser, I want someone to help me to configure the PWM to control the engraving MACH3, and send me some interface circuit ... I appreciate the response .. !!"

Hola!

De las pruebas que he hecho no es una buena idea utilizar el Mach3 PWM para controlar la potencia del láser. El control manual que funciona mejor.

From tests I have made it is not a good idea to use the Mach3 PWM to control the laser power. It is better to use manual control. Alternately a stand alone PWM generator which could possibly be controlled by Mach may be better still.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweakie View Post
    Hola!

De las pruebas que he hecho no es una buena idea utilizar el Mach3 PWM para controlar la potencia del láser. El control manual que funciona mejor.

From tests I have made it is not a good idea to use the Mach3 PWM to control the laser power. It is better to use manual control. Alternately a stand alone PWM generator which could possibly be controlled by Mach may be better still.

Tweakie.

gracias por responder, me podrias explicar como se controla manualmente el laser???

Quote Originally Posted by simaqc View Post
    gracias por responder, me podrias explicar como se controla manualmente el laser???
    This is my schematic http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/circuit2aa.jpg

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.