585,927 active members*
3,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > FARO arm to Solidworks

FARO arm to Solidworks

When I scan the contour of a part with the FARO arm and save it. It saves as .SAT file. When I try to bring it into SolidWorks it only brings in surfaces and no lines or splines that show the contour. Is there a way to get SolidWorks to bring in all the data? Thanks

GP,

I think you need to get one of the SolidWorks Partner Add Ins.

The two that come to mind are DesignWorks, and RevWorks.

The demo Video of DesignWorks is pretty impressive. It works in conjunction with SW sketch relation and feature contraints to create features direct from arm input. Basically, the arm probe takes the place of your mouse.. slick.

I use HighRES from ReverseEngineering.com

It works as shooter explained. It is an "add-in" to SW and I work directly in 3D sketch mode when taking data.

I can take small sets of data and actually begin creating the model at my FARO station then simply click a button to go back in and capture more points.

It is easy to use and since you can "build on the fly" you get a better sense of spacial orientation as you don't have to look at a huge point cloud and wonder WTF is going on.

The support is outstanding and they even offer on-site training which we did and we were up and running in 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    I use HighRES from ReverseEngineering.com

It works as shooter explained. It is an "add-in" to SW and I work directly in 3D sketch mode when taking data.

I can take small sets of data and actually begin creating the model at my FARO station then simply click a button to go back in and capture more points.

It is easy to use and since you can "build on the fly" you get a better sense of spacial orientation as you don't have to look at a huge point cloud and wonder WTF is going on.

The support is outstanding and they even offer on-site training which we did and we were up and running in 2 days.
    I also use HiRes Advanced for Solidworks...right now it only runs in 2010 as far as I know.... I have an older RS232 Faro Silver - so I dual boot into x32 Windows 7 and use Solidworks 2010 x32 for getting geometry, then reboot into x64 Windows 7 and use Solidworks 2011 x64... I really just started using it but its great stuff so far...its nice to go into native Solidworks and work with familiar commands....easy to make reference planes based on your measurements, and very convenient to map geometry using 3d sketches... I would recommend checking it out. Their support has been great for me as well...

One thing to note - it is a bit of a ***** to get loaded up at first... it is not a direct double click and load situation...tech support is very helpful...but there are some "nuances" you need to work around if you are using Windows 7...other than that I am happy with it. On-site tech support would probably take care of the loading for you...I didn't have the pockets for it at the time.. I got my Faro from a GM auction on the cheap, but it didn't come with s/w which is why I ended up using HiRes.

Try exporting them into Solidworks as an .iges file.

Thanks everyone I did get it to take the IGS file, I was trying to use a converter program that cam with the FARO arm. Did not know any better, found that the export iges in the cam4 measuring program worked. I have no training at all when it comes to using the FARO, just figuring it out as I go. Nice to know People have answers out here to help.