585,906 active members*
3,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool Library

Question Tool Library

Just curious to how people have set up their libraries, what would you say is best practice, maybe across CAMS, but really in Solidcam

I started by having seperate libraries for each type of material, but finding the copying to the tools and adjusting the speeds/feeds for different materials too tedious.

I know there is a section to set speeds and feeds for different materials, but to get the hang of it, I'd rather go the best practice route...

Any advice out there?

I am not sure if there is an agreed "best practice" for tool libraries. I think it depends how many programmers are programming for the same machines as then the issue of standardisation comes into play and as regards the setting up of material libraries, I haven't come across anyone using that feature.

Up until recently I only ever machined Aluminum here and so for our Hermle had only one tool library set up with speeds & feeds set accordingly. Another chap and myself both program for the Hermle and we use the same tool library which is kept in a network location, as is all our other tool libraries, Machining Processes and Operation / Process Templates. However, last year we picked up responsibility for some other machines, one of which makes parts in Aluminium, Steel, Cast Iron, Carbon Fibre and (my least favourite) flame-cut Stainless Steel. Up until now I have been maintaining separate tool libraries for each material but I have been toying with the idea of combining them into one library using the Material Library. There is an obstacle though in that I make use of the Tool Message fields in the tool library to note the tool ID, its maker, the insert code etc and these get used to output program set-up sheets when the program is posted and I really would be sorry to lose that as I don't know how I would flag up that we use different cutters for different materials.

Tool libraries and their management is a fascinating subject as I see it as one of the keys to efficient and consistent programming.

I am not sure if this has helped you though.

Bob

Hey Bob,

Just wondering how you got on with this one, just been going through my old posts, and as we are getting more into milling, I am about to start setting up libraries in anyway which is going to be quickest. I've also adjusted my post to output tool lengths, so I know that if when putting a tool into the machine, it should be somewhere near what the program is displaying as a comment in brackets, not actually sure why I did this though???

But to set up the library, I was wondering, did you stick to seperate libraries, or combined them into one, and saved your tooling info? Although we only mill about 3 different materials, and still I find it hard to copy a tool from one library to another!!!!

Hi Pingus. Well, nothing has moved very much really as the next release of SolidCAM (2011 due early March) has a lot of changes in the tool library area and I want to see what those are before I set about a major restructuring job.

One option for you would would be to have one tool library with three copies of every tool and the Tool ID field set to 1000 series for material 1, 3000 series for material 2 and 6000 series for material 3. Changes the speeds & feeds accordingly and then when you are programming set the data filter on the tool library to find tools with the ID fiels above 1000 and below 2999 for parts in material one.

Would that work for you?

Maybe, I will give it a try, but now hearing about the update to 2011 with tool libraries, I may wait.

It can only get better, from what I've experianced, the Solidcam Tool library structure is a bit basic, or maybe I haven't given it enough time.... who knows

Just out of curiosity, what format currently do you keep your tool libraries (xls, tab, csv) and whats the advantages/disadvantages??

Also when you have things like HSS drills of various sizes, like 6.3, 6.8, 7.1, 8.3 etc etc. Are you creating a tool for each in your library, as all will have the same VC speed (different rpm when calculated) just the diameter and length adjusts. (just trying to work out best strategy in this instance). Assuming the tool holders are generally the same, i.e. ER type

I was also wondering, do people generally a practice set up tool holders, or only bother with this if your going to be doing alot of index/5axis type work with the chance of hitting the fixtures, or deep cavity work?

Not doing holder set up saves checking what you have got and having to measure them if they are not standard shapes.

All my tools ar set up in the correct holder etc. as when I post the program it generates the set-up sheet complete with all tool set-up information. That way I get the tool I want in the program I created. But you are right, I am in the minority - most people don't bother with holders for plain 2½D work. Gets important for tombstone and 5X stuff though.