584,849 active members*
4,329 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Raw Material Suppliers List ....

A sticky I think that is needed on this forum would be a list of where to buy raw materials and who has the best deal. Here's a few to start (note not all posted here are verified, please call and make your own decision, feel free to add a verify if you've order with success)

Metals

Metal Express
    Online Metals
    McMaster Carr
    Enco
    MSC
    Industrial Metal Sales

Plastics

U.S. Plastic Corp
    MSC
    McMaster Carr
    Online Metals
    Tap Plastics

Composites

Fibre Glast
    ACP Composites
    US Composites

Anyone here using http://www.discountsteel.com ?

Seems to be very affordable aluminum raw materials

Not a bad idea. I use onlinemetals a lot now that they have a distribution location close to me. Material delivered in about 2 days!

Speedy Metals Online Industrial Metal Supply

The fire sale section (drops) seem like a good deal.

Great thread idea btw. I just started looking into prices and options, so very timely.

I have bought drops of aluminum from DiscountSteel as they have a place here in the Twin Cities. Never been overly impressed with them but prices are Ok.

I have used Industrial Metal Supply with good results.
    Industrial Metal Supply - The Metals You Need, When You Need Them
    Also McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Didn't know this until last week, but I'm almost 100% sure Enco and MSC are the same company. However Enco, MSC and McMaster Carr has great service and very fast shipping.

Sticky....

How do we make this a sticky? Message to admin?

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Didn't know this until last week, but I'm almost 100% sure Enco and MSC are the same company. However Enco, MSC and McMaster Carr has great service and very fast shipping.
    Yeah, I think so too, I checked both of them for available user name so I could have the same log in at both, once I signed up with Enco then instantly the user name wouldn't work at MSC. Plus the internal workings and sales flyers are always the same format.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

This is an excellent idea! I'm just getting started...looking at machine tools first...next would logically be raw materials. Perfect timing. I've bookmarked all the web pages offered so far and looked at the A36 Steel that I would use and was not dissapointed...my ideal bar stock would be 5"x5"x5", but it looks like 6"x6"x6" is available.

Needed some metal, decided it was time to shop around. I dug through the Zone to find all the metal suppliers people recommended and compare prices (including shipping) to my address for two 'test' materials, both 6061-T6: 12"x24"x0.5" plate, and a 1"x4"x24" bar.

First, I found that "plate" is significantly more expensive than "bar", and it happens that 12x24x0.5 can be found in both, so the prices below are based on the bar price when available.

I chose Midwest Steel Supply as my 100% since it was the cheapest source I'd found previously. Dillon is local to me, so free shipping, but large minimum orders (full sheets or bars).

Store 0.5x12x24 1x4x24 Shipping Total Percentage Notes
    yarde.com 27.65 17.21 19.07 63.93 61% Off-cuts, computed prices, $75 minimum order
    DillonSupply.com (local) 40.38 26.92 free 67.30 64% Computed prices, local pickup, must purchase full sheet or bar, cutting cost not included
    SchupanBoneyard.com 35.28 23.52 22.00 80.80 77% Off-Cuts, $40 minimum order, estimated shipping
    IndustrialMetalSales.com 47.06 35.04 23.04 105.14 100% bar
    MidwestSteelSupply.com 50.80 33.90 20.64 105.34 100% bar
    OnlineMetalSupply.com 50.96 44.00 28.91 123.87 118% Off-cuts, computed prices
    MetalsDepot.com 70.80 56.40 2.66 129.86 123% Shipping for $2??
    SpeedyMetals.com 78.25 43.32 24.40 145.97 139%
    OnlineMetals.com 106.69 42.34 20.95 169.97 161% Inc. 10% discount for $100+ orders
    mcmaster.com 93.02 60.22 22.00 175.24 166% Computed prices based on other size material, estimated shipping
    DiscountSteel.com 87.42 41.99 64.94 194.35 184%
    Use-enco.com 137.07 65.98 free 203.05 193% Assume free shipping coupon..

Other metal suppliers mentioned by others that I did not investigate. They either didn't have an online web store or didn't have one of the test pieces.

industrialmetalsupply.com
    shapirosupply.com
    alro.com
    tkmna.com
    Fry Steel
    Exact_metals (ebay)

I'm VERY happy that I took the time to shop around. I put together an order on Yarde that has four times more metal coming to me, delivered with tax and shipping for $2.25 per pound (6061-T6).

Hope this is helpful for others.
    --Bryan

You can get some interesting materials in small quantities from Inventables:

https://www.inventables.com/

I don't think that they are competitive on the aluminum example pieces quoted in the post above mine, though.

Speedymetals will apparently always offer 5% off if you get a quote and then leave the cart, wait a day.

Schupan was recommended by a colleague, but it appears that they overestimate their savings at the boneyard. Still a pretty good deal, but not what they claim (2/3 of retail is about right, after you figure in shipping).

Exact_metals (on e-bay) sells 12" pieces (some 6") of a large range of metals, which fit a standard priority mail shipper (that is, combined shipping is around 5 bucks, regardless of weight, as long as it fits in the box and you let them combine the shipping). They went way beyond reasonable expectations to fix the only problem with an order I've had. Prices seem OK. They carry 6061, brass, 12L14, 303, 1018, 4130, nylon,delrin. Mostly round, limited square stock. IF you don't mind short pieces, highly recommended.

I've been using discount steel almost exclusively since 2001. If you order enough material and get to know your service rep you can get great prices. Even better if you are able to show up in person and place your large orders. Don't go by the website prices, calling up can get you better pricing. Especially on services, like saw cutting, and shipping.

I've also used them for laser cutting aluminum sheet & plate, and forming operations. They have a nice facility with lots of nice equipment, and can do quite a few different jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Also McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#
    +1 they start out higher lb cost ($4.50/lb some times on 6061 bar) than others (like schorr in Anaheim) but the price quickly drops with volume. My last order was $2.07/lb for 6061 flat bar (180pc of 0.25" x 6" x 15.875")

They have a TON of drops and smaller precutts at unbeatable prices. The new drain system for my 1100 was made clearly from IMS drops.

Brian
    WOT Designs

Also McMaster-Carr McMaster-Carr
    Don, have you tried Fry Steel? I buy from IMS if I need a small amount as well. For larger orders I buy from Fry Steel. IMS wants to charge me about $4.50 per pound for 6061, and the last material I bought from Fry was $2.16 per pound.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Steve,

I have not tried Fry Steel. IMS has a location more local to me in Riverside, Fry Steel is in Santa Fe Springs( IIR near McMaster-Carr) not as close for me. For small quantities of metal, I usually will check out IMS for rems e.g. I needed some steel angle plate to support an I-beam used with a HF trolley to hoist a 2.2K lb lathe into my shop last week and IMS had steel angle plate rems for $0.25 lb. As for larger quantities the price goes down considerably when buying in volume. When I buy in volume not only is the cost lower, IMS will cut 12ft long pieces in half for free so I can get them into my small pickup. BTW IMS now delivers to the mountains for free on orders over $250.

Don

Steve,

I have not tried Fry Steel. IMS has a location more local to me in Riverside, Fry Steel is in Santa Fe Springs( IIR near McMaster-Carr) not as close for me. For small quantities of metal, I usually will check out IMS for rems e.g. I needed some steel angle plate to support an I-beam used with a HF trolley to hoist a 2.2K lb lathe into my shop last week and IMS had steel angle plate rems for $0.25 lb. As for larger quantities the price goes down considerably when buying in volume. When I buy in volume not only is the cost lower, IMS will cut 12ft long pieces in half for free so I can get them into my small pickup. BTW IMS now delivers to the mountains for free on orders over $250.

Don
    Fry delivers too. They won't do residential delivery so I have it set up with a shop about 5 miles away for them to deliver there. IMS has a store in Irvine that works out well if I need a small piece. They have precut pieces in 12 and 36 inch lengths for $3.29 per pound. A lot of times I'll do that so I don't have to buy a full bar. Fry Steel will charge about $10.00 for a cut if I need a short piece which sometimes drives the per pound price way up. They will cut it in half for free and that works for me since my truck only has a 5 foot bed. I can get 6 feet 2 inches in if I go corner to corner.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

I'm primarily working small batches of 6061 right now and have had good luck with Alcobra Metals (https://alcobrametals.com/).

Check out Stock Car Steel as well. I have used them a couple times now they have a decent selection with straightforward prices. You can ask them to cut material into 12" lengths and put it in a flat rate $11 box.

We've found amazing deals on Amazon. They also sell a lot of tooling. I'm really starting to love that book store!!

Page 1 of 2 12