585,715 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > I created a .STL file from the original solid model

I created a .STL file from the original solid model

I created a .STL file from the original solid model that I'm working on. I scaled by 101% the original model that gives me about 5MM that Is what I left for the last step...

when I verify the selected operations it takes about 6 seconds to load the .stl file because it is 4.278KB,

what can I do to make it open quicker?

thank you all

use a different file format. Is their special reason you cannot use the native .mcx format? .stl is a dog to load in any software package.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    use a different file format. Is their special reason you cannot use the native .mcx format? .stl is a dog to load in any software package.

well I always thought that .STL files are to be used as stock during verifications...

what is the command to convert a solid model in surfaces?
    Surfaces are lighter to work with.

create>surface>from solid, thats the path in X3. Some one else on here should be able to help, .stl for the stock model is the only option I am aware of, you might not have any options other than how you are doing it. Sorry, did not totaly understand your first post.

Quote Originally Posted by foxsquirrel View Post
    create>surface>from solid, thats the path in X3. Some one else on here should be able to help, .stl for the stock model is the only option I am aware of, you might not have any options other than how you are doing it. Sorry, did not totally understand your first post.
    No Problem... as you may have notice my English is not that great.
    the fact that I'm exchanging knowledge with you guys allows me practice my English and be smarter as-well... feels good...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PRINT_FX View Post
    allows me practice my English and be smarter as-well... feels good...
    I think this one came out the wrong way. LOL

STLs that are used as stock models in verify should be saved with a coarse to very coarse setting, say up round 0.2-0.5mm. This is to cut down the size of the file, and load fairly quickly.

The only time you would go fine is when you want "Compare stock to model" at the end of verify.

but remember, too fine will lead to long load times, and errors regarding memory allocation ( all the RAM is used up ).

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    I think this one came out the wrong way. LOL

STLs that are used as stock models in verify should be saved with a coarse to very coarse setting, say up round 0.2-0.5mm. This is to cut down the size of the file, and load fairly quickly.

The only time you would go fine is when you want "Compare stock to model" at the end of verify.

but remember, too fine will lead to long load times, and errors regarding memory allocation ( all the RAM is used up ).
    _Originally Posted by PRINT_FX View Post
    allows me practice my English and be smarter as-well... feels good...

yes it come out very wrong, I'm getting worst... LOL

well in regards to saving the .STL file with a coarse it is new stuff for me...
    I'm going to do some research on that during the weekend, maybe...

cool and thanks

If saving the remaining stock after running a verify session, you have to set the STL accuracy in verify options BEFORE running verify

If saving a solid entity from the graphic screen, using the "Save As" or "Save Some" function, then select the file type ( Stereolithic .STL ), the options button next to the OK button will darken and allow access to alter the save settings

works perfect...

Thanks