584,805 active members*
5,059 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Series 1 CNC Rigid Ram

Hello,
    I have been a member here for awhile in the DIY router forums. I finally decided to try my hand at machining with a Bridgeport. So far it seems to be in good condition. I have converted it to Gecko stepper drivers and I am using Turbocnc. I am using a static phase converter for the spindle motor. The stepper motors are from Centriod. It came with some tooling.

I am looking for a part list and a maintenance/repair manual and some history or date of this machine. It is serial number CNC 1696.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill 1.jpg   tool.jpg   mill controller.jpg  

Added computer stand
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cs2.jpg   cs.jpg  

Wow! You've done a nice job. One difference is that I'm putting all the electronics, including the computer, inside the power cabinet, where you've got a nice little cabinet there on the side. Was that already on the mill, or did you add it?

I have one quite similar to yours, but haven't quite finished the conversion yet. Was too hot to work in the garage in the summer, and too cold in the winter, so took a long break to insulate the garage. You can see mine at Tom Wade -- Machinist Section -- New CNC Mill.

Maybe you can help. I'm wanting to do various sorts of engraving, including lithophanes. Thinking of making a router mount which would mount in the spindle. I've got, for instance a monster 1" end mill holder. Was thinking of welding a 1" shaft to a holder for a router. Would like to keep the entire assembly as short as possible, and try to keep the router centerline matched up with the mill spindle centerline.

Any ideas what might be the most suitable router? Seen any router holders which would be more appropriate than others?

Thanks

Tom

Tom,
    I had the big box on the back full of transformers, but I wanted to put it close to a wall. A guy at work had the smaller box that I put the electronics in. I only kept the 2 spindle relays from the big box.

I have seen your web page before when I was looking for a mill. Great page for someone just getting started. Once I bought mine I started wondering how I would get it in the shop. I finally decided to remove a 4' section of wall. The guy I bought it from delivered it right to the shop floor.

I am not sure I would use the bridgeport for a router....maybe to make parts for a cnc router. Here is a link to the one I made for my dad:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...d_one_dad.html

My Brridgeport has 18" in X, 12" in Y, and 5" in Z. A Larger DIY router project for engraving and lithophanes could be done for a reasonable amount.

I have plans for a 5 axis machine...but too many projects not enough time.

I used the small Bosch trim routers for mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0352.jpg   DSCF0350.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by rlwoodjr View Post
    Tom,
    I had the big box on the back full of transformers, but I wanted to put it close to a wall. A guy at work had the smaller box that I put the electronics in. I only kept the 2 spindle relays from the big box.

I have seen your web page before when I was looking for a mill. Great page for someone just getting started. Once I bought mine I started wondering how I would get it in the shop. I finally decided to remove a 4' section of wall. The guy I bought it from delivered it right to the shop floor.

I am not sure I would use the bridgeport for a router....maybe to make parts for a cnc router. Here is a link to the one I made for my dad:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/diy-cn...d_one_dad.html

My Brridgeport has 18" in X, 12" in Y, and 5" in Z. A Larger DIY router project for engraving and lithophanes could be done for a reasonable amount.

I have plans for a 5 axis machine...but too many projects not enough time.

I used the small Bosch trim routers for mine.
    I also need to put it close to a wall, so moved the power box to the side. Since I am using a VFD, I tossed the spindle relay. Actually, I don't foresee a huge demand for the low gear, so don't plan on using the reverse gear very often.

Good job on the table you're building for your dad. May get back with you if I decide to build a table. I don't particularly like the idea of using the Bridgeport for the lithophanes, but a couple of guys have shown some commercial interest in the lithophanes, so will use the Bp to make a few. If the interest turns to income, I'll then build a router mount for the BP, then start on a router table. Btw, what was your build time on your dad's router?

Big problem here is space. Seems like I saw a thread where someone built a router table which stands the work on edge.

Like your rotary drive. I stumbled across a 12" manual rotary table at a good price. Need to find a stepper for it, then turn a mount to hold it and drive the shaft behind the handwheel and I'll be in business. Also need to build a tailstock for it. But your rotary drive is probably all the size I really need, for the work I'd like to do.

But at least I had the foresight to buy mine in warmer weather ! ;>}

I can't really say how long it took to build the router because I only worked on it on select weekends. If I had to guess, I probably have 40 to 50 hours into it.

Space seems alway to be a little less than you need. Adding the bridgeport to the shop makes it a little bit more cozy...

I am looking for a rotary table for th BP...hopefully I will find one for a good price. Notice I made room for the 4th axis in the black box.

Did your BP come with any manuals?

I can't really say how long it took to build the router because I only worked on it on select weekends. If I had to guess, I probably have 40 to 50 hours into it.

Space seems alway to be a little less than you need. Adding the bridgeport to the shop makes it a little bit more cozy...

I am looking for a rotary table for th BP...hopefully I will find one for a good price. Notice I made room for the 4th axis in the black box.

Did your BP come with any manuals?
    Yes, my Bp came with a "full" set of manuals. Unfortunately the biggest manual, the maintenance manual, a 4" ring binder, is hiding from me for the last 6 months or so. I suspect that my former housekeeper helped me clean up by throwing it away...

I have added all the wiring in each location for a 4th axis, except that I haven't bought the Gecko yet. I have some definite projects in mind which require a fourth axis.

Have you considered cutting any lightning holes in the vertical plate in your gantry? Seems to me like that's the only part being moved by the X & Y steppers, and lightness would be a virtue, especially if it can be done without affecting rigidity.

The machine is now 8 hours away...

I am sure it could be done, I am not sure how much it would help. You could take material from the middle of the vertical piece (the neutral axis) and make it a little bit lighter without changing the rigidity much.

I was wondering if there was a maintenance manual.

I have found the operators manual for the M128-B on Ebay, I have that one.

Anyone know of a place to get the maintenance manual for a M128-B?

Have you looked at Machine Manual Services
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Have you looked at Machine Manual Services
    I have seen this site before, but I did not find a Series 1 CNC M128B maintenence manual. I do not know what Boss mine is? I thought the Boss was a name for the electronic/cnc part of the machine. How do I determine which boss I have or which manual to buy?

I thought the Boss was a name for the electronic/cnc part of the machine. How do I determine which boss I have or which manual to buy?
    BOSS is an acronym for Bridgeport Operating System Software. The Series I iron is the same on all the BOSS machines. Since you don't use the electronics or software anymore, it would seem to me that it won't matter which one you got. The more recent models have more bells and whistles that may not be applicable to your hardware.

Also, the afore mentioned site has a section on serial numbers and build dates if that is important. I have a BOSS 3 with serial number 499. TarHeelTom has a BOSS 5, and it may help to know his number. The manual you said you have seems to be for a BOSS 3. The photos of the machine being delivered have no distinguishing features.

In the photos, it appears that you have encoders on the back of the motors, is this the case? Who put them on?

EDIT: I just noticed the serial number section of the above web site doesn't appear to include the BOSS machines. My guess from your serial number is that you have a BOSS 5 like Tom's.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

HawkJET,
    The motors are from a Centriod conversion. They are 1350 oz.in with 400cpr encoders. I am not using the encoders at this point.

TarHeelTom,
    Got a serial number you can share.

Also,
    Do these manuals cover rigid ram? Also it is my understanding that Series 1 CNC is different than Series 1. The Series 1 CNC have ballscrews...

I am not using the encoders at this point.
    FYI - Since you have them already, you could set the encoders up in Mach3 to use as step verification.
    Do these manuals cover rigid ram?
    My experience is that they include all options available on that particular model. So, yes, it should cover the rigid ram.
    Also it is my understanding that Series 1 CNC is different than Series 1. The Series 1 CNC have ballscrews...
    Yes, quite different. The Knee is different to have room for the Y axis motor and it has wider ways. The Table is completely different - it is not as long and is wider. Also the X axis lead screw does not turn, the nut rotates instead. The Z axis has a ball screw as part of the quill, and with the rigid ram, the head is obviously different. The only part that is the same for both is the main casting (and that may not even be true).

I have mechanical digital counters that can verify if I have missed a step. I thought about a digital readout, but I already have that with Turbocnc.

The Geckos give me 0.0001 per step, the encoders at 4x would be 0.000125.

I have mechanical digital counters that can verify if I have missed a step.
    Yes, I have them also, and it is reassuring to have them. However with step verification, if the position error is more than a fixed (user defined) amount, the program will stop. This will happen at the time the steps are missed and possibly before the part is scrapped and/or the machine damaged.

If you inadvertently crashed into the vise or something, the machine would automatically stop. Without step verification, the operator has to hit the E-Stop to get the program to halt.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Yes, I have them also, and it is reassuring to have them. However with step verification, if the position error is more than a fixed (user defined) amount, the program will stop. This will happen at the time the steps are missed and possibly before the part is scrapped and/or the machine damaged.

If you inadvertently crashed into the vise or something, the machine would automatically stop. Without step verification, the operator has to hit the E-Stop to get the program to halt.
    Seems like a good idea.

I have seen this site before, but I did not find a Series 1 CNC M128B maintenence manual. I do not know what Boss mine is? I thought the Boss was a name for the electronic/cnc part of the machine. How do I determine which boss I have or which manual to buy?
    BOSS was, in my humble understanding, the particular series of Bridgeport's computer. Since you and I no longer have the BOSS computer, it's irrelevant. The vast majority of my maintenance manual concerned the BOSS 5 computer stuff. RIP

Stopped in at a used "electronics" store today and picked up a bunch of stuff at reasonable prices. Solid state relays to power the coolant pump etc., a new eStop switch, etc. Guy has five warehouses full of stuff, and is real knowledgeable.

Tom

You are correct, I do not need any of the electronics...actually it came with some large schematics for the power box.

What I do need is to know how to repair and adjust...

TarHeelTom,
    Got a serial number you can share.
    Going from memory, I think my serial number is 3196, or somewhere in that vicinity.

And mine was a BOSS 5.5, but it appears to have started life as a BOSS 5, and has received several updates through the years.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12