584,863 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Open Source CNC Machine Designs > Looking for the best, most popular, most complete plans with detailed parts list.

Question Looking for the best, most popular, most complete plans with detailed parts list.

UPDATE:

It look like the defacto standard (best) kit for a 2'x3' table will be the "FINE LINE AUTOMATION FLA-100"

This kit can be purchased outright from them for 1599.99. (Not bad) Reading the threads I see many folks are shaving a penny or two on their builds of this kit and am hoping to gather the best ideas-options-sources-prices into one thread and make this list avalible for all to see so we may learn from your builds.

Please include:

1. PART DESCRIPTION
    2. PART NUMBER
    3. SOURCE
    4. PRICE and COST SAVINGS OVER BUYING FROM THE DEFACTO SOURCE-(FLA or WHOMEVER)

If you have pictures of your FLA-100, please post some pictures of your build. We would live to see them and any and all stages of the build process.

************************************************** ************************************************** **********************
    I am looking for feedback on which plans to use for a CNC table that is anywhere from 24"x24" to 48"x48" that will be used primarily for wood working projects.

I don't care how much it costs to build at this point, having realized that cheap is not a good idea and quality costs money I plan to start my build slowly and end up with something that will last a long time (hopefully). I am thinking that frame made of 8020 aluminum rails is probably the way to go and good electronics such as a Gecko 540, Nema 425oz steppers, and a high quality router will be in order.

Is there an obvious choice to go with out of all the build plans posted here?
    I don't want to start running in the wrong direction and change course later after realizing there was a superior build available that I didn't know about.

Thanks! :drowning::drowning:

The FLA-100 fits your requirements, although the way the BOM and plans aren't the easiest to follow.

CNC Router Parts LINK

Fine Line Automation LINK

The plans are at FLA, but you would get your electronics and mechanical parts quicker from CNCRP. There are several on here who are building that model, or a variation from it. Even if you don't build that particular model, the linear motion using 1/4" cold rolled steel and linear carriages that CNCRP came up with for 80/20 extrusions is great.

Before using that, the linear motion I saw most used was roller-skate bearings with aluminum or steel angle, such as on Joes 2006 model. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but since I live in a very humid area, I didn't want to use MDF for my build.

Thanks for the info!!!

It looks like I can buy the whole thing from FINE LINE for about $1600. What do you think the cost savings would be to get everything separately and cut and thread the 8020 myself?

It looks as if this kit/plan hits the nail on the head!

Thanks!

I can't really say that you would save that much by parting it out from different sources. Their product line seems to have good components and many times finding another source and doing shipping from many places will eat up any savings. I have a pair of the bearing carriages from FLA for another project and they are not getting rich from the $23.50 they are charging for them. I would charge more if I were making them.

If I were not playing with my own ideas, I would jump on their stuff in a heartbeat. There are things to be said for their a la carte modular system.

The only thing I would add though is that by the time you add motors and control, it is coming in close to the price of some of the cheaper complete units. Just something to think about.
    My uncensored views and CNC Router planning: http://reinventingcnc.blogspot.com/

I think you could save some money by sourcing some of the stuff yourself if your able to do some of the work. For example, the 80/20 kit from FLA is $670. I am able to get the extrusion cut to length and shipped for $370.00 and the rails I can buy the material cut to length and shipped for $110.00 instead of paying $210.00. Thats $400 savings for drilling and tapping the 80/20 myself and drilling the holes in the rails myself. That $400 I will use to buy other parts such as the electronics!

Quote Originally Posted by CNC74 View Post
    It looks like I can buy the whole thing from FINE LINE for about $1600. What do you think the cost savings would be to get everything separately and cut and thread the 8020 myself?

It looks as if this kit/plan hits the nail on the head!

Thanks!
    The $1,600 doesn't include the electronics. You'll definitely save money doing the labor yourself. You'll save enough to go towards the electronics, or enough to buy a benchtop drill press if you didn't have access to one, hardware, etc.

Another option is Joe's 4x4 hybrid. Welcome to Joe'sCNC.com
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Exclamation

[quote=jason75;904031]I think you could save some money by sourcing some of the stuff yourself if your able to do some of the work. For example, the 80/20 kit from FLA is $670. I am able to get the extrusion cut to length and shipped for $370.00 and the rails I can buy the material cut to length and shipped for $110.00 instead of paying $210.00. Thats $400 savings for drilling and tapping the 80/20 myself and drilling the holes in the rails myself. That $400 I will use to buy other parts such as the electronics![/quote/]

JASON75,

Thanks for the info!!!

Can you provide some details on where you go your parts at these great prices and anything else you feel could help. Share pictures please!!!! We would love to see your work!!

Please include:

1. PART DESCRIPTION
    2. PART NUMBER
    3. SOURCE
    4. PRICE and COST SAVINGS OVER BUYING FROM THE DEFACTO SOURCE-(FLA or WHOMEVER)

Just being nosy....

What are you going to drive it with? Leadscrew or their rack and pinon?
    My uncensored views and CNC Router planning: http://reinventingcnc.blogspot.com/

Price? Quality? Best Practice?

Whatever is best. I am currently take all recomendations.

The extrusion was from a supply house I use for extrusion at work. Ordered cut to length. The bill was $370. I will have to drill and tap the ends and drill access holes. Not a big deal with the drill jigs. Automation4less.com sales the extrusion cut to length.

The rail stock will come from onlinemetals.com Cut to length the cost comes up at $110.00

FLA Cost for the extrusion was 670 and the rails was 210. Savings of $400 over FLA for doing the labor of drilling and tapping yourself.

You just have to check around and see what you can do. The extrusion may have been discounted since it came through the "work" account, but can't imagine a very deep discount.

Talking

Can someone who knows for sure what needs to be ordered for the 80/20 parts please double check this item list before I place an order.

Your Shopping Cart

Details Name Unit Price Quantity Total Select
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $43.93 $87.86 QNTY OF 2
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 45.01-50 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 48.4375 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $23.02 $69.05 QNTY OF 3
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 20.01-25 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 24 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $14.65 $14.65 QNTY OF 1
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 10.01-15 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 14 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $10.47 $41.86 QNTY OF 4
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 5.01-10 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 6 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $14.65 $29.30 QNTY OF 2
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 10.01-15 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 12 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $31.38 $31.38 QNTY OF 1
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 30.01-35 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 33 - -
    650008 1.5 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $18.83 $18.83 QNTY OF 1
    1.5 x 3 Pricing: - 15.01-20 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 15.75 - -
    650012 3 in. X 3 in. T-Slotted Extrusion $56.78 $56.78 QNTY OF 1
    3 x 3 Pricing: - 35.01-40 Inches - -
    Exact length in Inches: - 36 - -

Grand Total: $349.71

Note: I am still waiting on a shipping quote. (Hoping that they don't try to rake me over the coals!)

I ordered the exact list on Monday. Hopping the parts arrive before the weekend. Our math does not add up. Im looking at my invoice and for the 2 peices that are 12" I paid $21.67 each. Not $14.65 each. But the part list looks just like what I ordered.

I found a local source of steel for the rails. The four pieces of .25" cold rolled flat stock cut to length will be $50 and some change. I can pick these up. FLA wants $210 plus shipping and online metals wants $110 plus shipping. So some more savings!!!!

I also received my fasteners and some items from 80/20 online store today!