585,759 active members*
4,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Considering purchase of a new lathe

Considering purchase of a new lathe

I am currently using a Grizzly G0602 but i am getting fustrated with the limited capacity of this machine and its none standard spindle thread (1 3/4 - 8). Initially the advantage was its relatively lite weight - enabling me to get it into my basement. Also - its ability to run on standard 110.

Now i am considering giving up part of my garage and looking at a rebuilt hardinge or maybe southbend lathes. The hardinge's typically are 3phase but i can work with that now. Anything else i should be concerned about initially with a purchase like this? Specifically i am looking at this machine

HARDINGE HC LATHE & TOOLING 13" Max D, 14" Max shaft - eBay (item 400188311090 end time Mar-16-11 09:25:29 PDT)

The seller is relatively local and i can see the machine under power.

Also- as i live in NH the lathe will be in an unheated garage and subject to low temperatures. I know this will affect absolute accurancy - are there any other concerns?

Go look at it and test it out. That will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tormachmaster View Post
    Go look at it and test it out. That will tell you.
    definitely going to do that ... just hoping to get some information from people with experience. example - types of things that might be missing that i will need - tool holders, etc. Features i should look for. I have a little experience with clausing and lebond engine lathes. This would be the first hardinge i have looked at.

The Hardinge may also have have a non-standard threaded head as well; 2-3/16x10 - I think some came with a tapered spindle. Turning parts longer than 4-5 inches will be a challenge because there is no tailstock and the turret gets in the way. These are great machines but their intent is produce lots of short parts. I like mine but I'd rather have an HLVH ...(yeah wouldn't everyone...I hear ya say)
    It looks like its missing the carriage stops, but since it looks like it was just painted maybe they're nearby
    HTH

Yeah, just painted. I personally LOVE my hardinge (CHNC) but be wary of the "rustoleoum-rebuild" it has the typical hallmarks of a poorly masked-off paint job. Expect the paint to be hiding lots of dirt.

Bring an indicator and a magnetic base. rotate the spindle by hand and check for runout. Run the lathe (spindle) under power for at least 15-30 minutes. feel for vibration and check to see if the spindle bearing areas get anything more than slightly warm.

it might be an excellent lathe, with a really sh**y paint job. I have bought several great machines with bad paint jobs.

If the seller does not want you to let the spindle get up to running temp, take your money elsewhere...

Take good photos and then tell the seller you want to think about it. Take the evening and study the photos. This will tell you if you want to buy the machine or not.
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

2-3/16x10 if this indeed is the spindle mount, fear not, 5" fixture plates pop up on ebay all the time that will allow you to adapt tons of chucks to them. They average 50.00 for the fixture plate. They are cast iron and easy to customize.

You also may want to pull the collet closer and look for a bunch of rust/chips in the spindle bore.

Check for cracked drive belts.

if the seller objects to you doing somthing like pulling the C.C. off, walk away...
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

Quote Originally Posted by lavrgs View Post
    It looks like its missing the carriage stops, but since it looks like it was just painted maybe they're nearby
    HTH
    I found it - its on the bottom shelf...

thanks !!

i just got back from vacation - thank you everyone for the feedback. i am hoping to get down there to see the lathe next weekend (if its still available). if it works out i will post pictures.