584,866 active members*
4,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

New Perth Based Group.

The WA Home Workshop
    Machinist

Saturday the 6th of March 2011 at 1500hrs it is intended to have a meeting with the view to establish a group of like minded enthusiasts at;

194 Gildercliffe St.
    Scarborough 6019

The objective is to provide a forum for fellowship, to exchange experiences, ideas, pool resources, and machining tuition.
    Membership is open to all interested in a home workshop.

If you are interested please

Ring: Doug Baker, Ph: 9341 1630
    Email: [email protected]

Email Mark Holycross
    [email protected];

Bruce Weir-smith
    [email protected]

*Bump

Hi fellow Perthites, :wave: is this group still meeting?

I'm about to be buying myself a divorce present :cheers: and would like to seek advice from those with experience.

Primarily need to decide between an X3 and HM 46-48 (I think, what else is there?)
    Do I buy the CNC bits and pieces off the net individually or look at one of the bundled kits?

The X3 looks like the better machine, but the X travel is a bit limited, I'd like 500mm or so for doing some work in timber, 200mm or so would be plenty for what I envisage doing in metal. Steel and Ali.
    Are there bigger tables available for the X3?

And the questions go on and on and on...... :drowning:

Sneaky,

The group didn't take off. A few of us meet at random times.

I'm usually around most weekends if you want to meet.

On the x3 -vs- RF mill. I have an rf style w/ R8 spindle.
    Have a look at a mates x3 adventure and the reason why I got
    the RF.

My CNC Adventures

Mark

Thanks mark, I'll have a read of the thread, and might see if I can ply you with alcohol one weekend.

I'm just finalising things financially now, should be settled in a month or so, then it's off to the toy shop!!!!
    There are 10 types of people in the world
    Those of us who get binary, and those who don't.

Contact

Just contact me when your ready.
    I'll PM my contact details.

Mark

Ive started a meetup here: West Coast Makers (Perth) - Meetup
    Should help in co-ordinating some meetups.

Im on the 3D printer bandwagon, but CNC machining and electronics are always on the program.

Hi there you Perthies.

I'm not EXACTLY in perth, but close enough, just a packed lunch, or two, and half a dozen stubbies north, in Hedland.
    Very new to this CNC stuff, bought a cheapo chinese 3020 to experiment with milling printed circuit boards and a bit of engraving. Still very much a learning curve.
    Don't get down south much for anything other than hospital visits these days.
    I drop i9n on this site every now and again, so I'll catch up with you again I hope and do some chatting.

Yea mate no worries...stay tuned....should have the west coast makers website up soon.

Hi Guys. Im in Perth these days(Ellenbrook) no machine yet as lifes been a bit hectic with the big move from townsville and settling into a new job then buying a house and blah blah blah you know life stuff interfering with hobies. Im keen to attend meetings if they are on weekends as i work up in Hedland monday to friday. Ill be going with a package cnc mill eg Promica etc as a turn key unit once i get organised so not really DIY but will be at home eventually provided its not to loud for the neighbours.

Dan,
    Check out the meetup group for timings. Can possibly schedule something for the weekend.
    Http://meetup.com/west-coast-makers

yup just signed up then mate. im out for the 23rd i think. As i said still no machine as yet but ill get there slowly. going to buy or download some cheap/free cad cam stuff just to mess around with if i can find anything thats cheap/free until i can get hooked up with a machine. Im a cad monkey at work so im not worried about the cad more just cam and getting it to work.

Cad monkey hey!!! Maybe you could teach us a thing or two!

Eyebrow it depends what package we are talking. I use Microstation day to day but used autocad and bricscad alot aswell. Civil designer by trade but i play with drawing up components when i can at work.

Autocad would probably be a good start! I've heard Microstation and Autocad are two totally different beasts. Would be keen to see the pro's/cons.

Oh and I also got the West Coast Makers website online. http://westcoastmakers.com
    Let me know your thoughts....can make changes as needed.

We have the meetup page and the website to hopefully recruit some more people.

Feel free to chuck the link up anywhere you think may be worth while.

I think i just had a conversation with myself on the wa makers site. It asked me whats new in the cad design world and i thought someone posted asking me a question. it seems i was just talking to the website.

Haha! I'll take a look.....mate if you have any suggestions for the site let me know.

Hey site looks good so far! can't wait to meet some like minded people

Hi everyone! I am from Bunbury, WA. I have build a small cnc router with 500x500mm working area. It works great, cuts wood and aluminum but too small for my growing needs. I have ordered a big router from China and hope to get it from Fremantle port this week. Want to use it in furniture production. Is anybody like me here?

Quote Originally Posted by africansurgeon View Post
    Hi everyone! I am from Bunbury, WA. I have build a small cnc router with 500x500mm working area. It works great, cuts wood and aluminum but too small for my growing needs. I have ordered a big router from China and hope to get it from Fremantle port this week. Want to use it in furniture production. Is anybody like me here?
    There are plenty of guys like you, Me just getting into 3D printing!
    Welcome aboard.

Page 1 of 2 12