585,758 active members*
4,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1985 VMC-40 OS and Memory upgrade

1985 VMC-40 OS and Memory upgrade

Have an oppurtunity to buy a 1985 VMC-40 w/38k and -1 software (OS = 87.1R), but I want to be 100% sure I can upgrade this machine (using Fadal parts) first.

From what I have heard/read, I should be able to upgrade the OS by installing a 1400-4 or 1400-5 control board or is there many more boards/cabling that must be replaced in order to get an OS upgrade???

I would also like to install the expanded memory (either 422k or 16Meg) My question is...Does the expanded memory board connect directly (piggyback) to the control board or does it plug into a different slot somewhere else in the back panel?

One last question.. is it possible to put the Fadal legacy control panel (ie jog wheel, estop, etc) on this machine? Currently this machine just has a keyboard and monitor.

thanks for any help you can give me.

me too me too

ive just bought a 1984 vmc40 with a cnc88 system is this a ok system i havent fired it up yet im waiting on my 3ph inverter or should i just retrofit to a newer control ie centroid.???

As per my other post to you.
    Upgrade to a Centroid or Fagor control would be perfect especially with the good mechanics you got sitting there.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

To get 4-16 megs you need a current -5 control. This will involve replacement of just about every board in the control panel. The upgrade is about 5k, and can be done in a couple of hours.

Nervis1--
    You are right on the money. Any Legacy control (88hs) can be upgraded to the latest -5 system. The software version will be SYS 102.1. The upgrade kit contains all the boards required and a good tech should be able to change it all out in a few hours and then do any calibration that maybe needed like cal the R/tap.

Neal