584,833 active members*
5,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    Take a look at this and the other suggest youtube pieces: YouTube - ‪cutting dovetails on cnc‬‏
    I'm not gonna be able to mount anything on end like he did at this time..

Although I have already been thinking that when I build the steel table it would be nice to have a pocket in the middle with a clamping system that would allow me to do so...

So for now, Louie's method is intriguing...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    I'm not gonna be able to mount anything on end like he did at this time..

Although I have already been thinking that when I build the steel table it would be nice to have a pocket in the middle with a clamping system that would allow me to do so...

So for now, Louie's method is intriguing...
    I have to get the file off my shop computer first, and then I'll upload it here. I do have it psoted on the Vectric forum.

If you decide to make a vertical clamping jig for your router, I suggest putting it on one end, to simplify loading/unloading. The vertical method is definitely the more efficient way!

One thing that would help: milling the "bevel" or "draft" with an 30 degree bit using the coventional method is slow, and there's a risk of breaking the bit tip. I'm looking into programming the paths in OneCNC using its open pocket toolpaths, where I approach the final shape from the outside in, and rest-machine the sharp corners. Or better yet, if I made a 3D model of the joint, I could rough out the part, including draft, with a straight bit, and finish off with the V bit. Of course, when I have the time...

Also, this maybe one job where HSS bits may actually be better, since thwy won't chip as easily as carbide, are sharper initially at least, and cheaper to replace when dull.

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    First of all.. Thanks for that link.. Bookmarked! And very awesome!

But still, most of those don't allow the joint to be appreciated from the outside of the box by the casual viewer... even though they are beautiful and obviously seriously strong joints.. The cool thing about Dovetails, is that they capture the eye.. especially if two different woods are used..

I just need to figure out how to use the ideas on that page so that they are visible from the outside of the joint.. Because they are definitely cool and organic and strong and doable with CNC...

Although they presented 'one' idea that was 'somewhat' like a dovetail in the aspect of being visible... Nonetheless..Very cool and worth exploring... a couple of the more complex butt joints would look really nice with different woods...

This is exactly what I have been searching for!!!
    Many of us CNCers did not build their machines with an overhanging portion which allows the manufacturing of Dovetails and I can not afford Dovetail DrawerCAD which allow you to do what Louie has done.
    However using Dovetail DrawerCAD you need to purchase a special expensive tool, using Louie’s solution you don't!
    I can’t wait to try this when I get back from my holidays!
    And doesn’t that Celtic Knot the Dovetail example is sitting on look great; Louie do you have a better picture of that somewhere; I would not mind cutting a Trivet with that on.

WELL DONE LOUIE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Quote Originally Posted by keithstanley View Post
    This is exactly what I have been searching for!!!
    Many of us CNCers did not build their machines with an overhanging portion which allows the manufacturing of Dovetails and I can not afford Dovetail DrawerCAD which allow you to do what Louie has done.
    However using Dovetail DrawerCAD you need to purchase a special expensive tool, using Louie’s solution you don't!
    I can’t wait to try this when I get back from my holidays!
    And doesn’t that Celtic Knot the Dovetail example is sitting on look great; Louie do you have a better picture of that somewhere; I would not mind cutting a Trivet with that on.

WELL DONE LOUIE KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
    Thanks! I have a pic of the Celtic knot along with other stuff on my build thread in the DUT CNC router section....

I'll be revisiting this in the following weeks, as the need has arose. I don't feel like setting up my IncraJig system and am looking to sell it. Stay tuned...

Good deal! I'm watching....

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

I'm watching too!!!!!

Hi, I just stumbled on this thread. Thanks for posting about the joint build, and the links to other joint forms.

Harry

Thanks Harry. I was to devote more time to this, but a co-worker who had surgery a while back will be out for longer than expected, so I have more overtime hours to deal with...

File Attached

I found Louies original file on the Vectric forums and I am reposting it here with his permission.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to trying this technique.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

Quote Originally Posted by jharvey407 View Post
    I found Louies original file on the Vectric forums and I am reposting it here with his permission.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am looking forward to trying this technique.
    Thanks James! I'd really like to work on this some more, and hope others do and maybe improve on the technique.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    Thanks James! I'd really like to work on this some more, and hope others do and maybe improve on the technique.
    First of all Thank You for developing the technique and for sharing it with the community.

I haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet, but I am really looking forward to giving it a try.

James
    James Harvey
    Harvey Development Corp.
    www.Harvey-Development.com

36" x 52" CNC Router
    ULS-25E 12" x 24" Laser Engraver

I just stumbled upon this and am fascinated. Like others, it will take me some time to understand exactly what is going on. Thanks for sharing this. Has anyone progressed with this technique at all? I originally was searching for a way of making a cube out of 1/2" material with hidden joints on the cnc (still searching for a way to do this without revealing holes), but if I can get this to work I'll be extremely happy.

Coming up with this takes a level of 3 dimensional thinking I'm not sure many are capable of. Well done. Do you have any more projects done with this Louie?

Thanks again,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by manofmanyhats View Post
    I just stumbled upon this and am fascinated. Like others, it will take me some time to understand exactly what is going on. Thanks for sharing this. Has anyone progressed with this technique at all? I originally was searching for a way of making a cube out of 1/2" material with hidden joints on the cnc (still searching for a way to do this without revealing holes), but if I can get this to work I'll be extremely happy.

Coming up with this takes a level of 3 dimensional thinking I'm not sure many are capable of. Well done. Do you have any more projects done with this Louie?

Thanks again,
    Rich
    Rich,

I have used this on a few projects, but being extremely busy I hadn't the time nor presence to take pics. I solved the fitment issues by thicknessing the material on the CNC, and tweaking the outline to account for the tip width (about .005 or so IIRC.) A long while back I proposed using an auxiliary table slanted at 15 degrees, Jerry has actually created a jig and software that utilizes the tilted table. It may not work if your Z clearance won't allow it, though you could "hang" that auxiliary table off the front edge. Gerry also has a program for a vertical-clamped solution.

Re: LouieAtienza's "Dovetails on the Flat" Technique, take 1

I've been working on joints that can be CNC'd flat recently and I was trying to understand this joint. I created a Fusion 360 model that I think emulates the joint so I thought I would share. https://a360.co/3g4L27B

Quote Originally Posted by iporty View Post
    I've been working on joints that can be CNC'd flat recently and I was trying to understand this joint. I created a Fusion 360 model that I think emulates the joint so I thought I would share. https://a360.co/3g4L27B
    Haven't revisited this thread in a long time. Your design would work, probably better than mine, though that's not exactly how mine works. The issue I had was I only had 2D CAD/CAM and you really couldn't do true 3D in VCarve Pro, hence I designed it as such.

For a while I've been interested in figuring out how to machine attractive 90 degree joints on the flat so I appreciate the work @louietienza has done and was happy to discover this thread.

I created a design that allows one to CNC finger joints only mounting the stock flat, with no gaps. It uses a combination of straight, roundover and ballnose bits. It only requires machining on one side, and I'm thinking that the finger joints will be of comparable strength even though they don't have the mechanical lock. I'm hoping it will be an efficient way to make a large batch of small drawers for myself. I'm still waiting for my CNC and I'm currently unable to go back to work and use the CNC there, so for now all I have is the Fusion 360 simulation.
    It's a parametric design in Fusion 360 so you can adjust the dimensions, board thickness, number of fingers and it will recalculate automatically. Unfortunately the CAM will not necessarily recalculate, but the design should have all the right contours for the CAM operations.
    I'm interested in what solutions other's have come up with.

Short explanation video
    https://youtu.be/2piJe4UAKWo

Design file
    https://a360.co/3g4L27B

Page 2 of 2 12