585,560 active members*
3,298 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > TEXT/ENGRAVE ON VARIABLE Z

TEXT/ENGRAVE ON VARIABLE Z

i am trying to put some text on a variable z but. To give you an idea of what im trying to do the shape of the part is pretty much the same as the example under "engrave all variable z. Because it has multiple surfaces i have to make copy and project the whole text on every surface. The problem is when i project the text onto the surface it not only projects onto the surface but it also continues on that path right through the part, what am i doing wrong? It only does this on the downwards facing surfaces. When the surface is pointing up the text stays on the surface only so why doesnt it do this facing down?

Can you post up the file here or over at the user's forum.. a file always help..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by wms View Post
    Can you post up the file here or over at the user's forum.. a file always help..
    Ive just tried but it says its an invalid file. Its saved as an xfa file, is there something im doing wrong?

not sure whether this will work
    Attached Files Attached Files

a Dxf will be a 2d drawing..it will not have a surface in it to engrave on..You would need to save it as a Iges..or best would be to Zip up the XFA file and post it..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

try this

File back with a test surface and test..

I created a cross section surface from your edges..and projected some test text to it..then applied a tool path > "Engrave All Variable Z"..

Hope that give you some ideas..

thanks a lot, cheers for the help!

just another quick question, how did you create the cross section surface from the edges? I have extruded model edges and then used create surface from cross section but it comes out a right mess. Do i need to select every line on the surface?

Cross section surface uses two or more sets of chains to drive the surface creations..

I believe there are a couple of videos that demonstrate this on the user's forum..

where will i find the users forum? sorry, im not used to this site yet and dont know where to find anything