585,667 active members*
4,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Melbourne based group

Hello everybody,

Just wondering if there is anyone in the Melbourne area willing to have a chat / meet to discuss options on retrofitting a bridgeport clone. I have a Chevalier mill, been in storage for some time now just waiting for a retrofit. Well, retrofit time is here and there seems to be a plethora of components to choose from, Gecko's, Chinese drives, CNC4PC, Machmotion, servos vs steppers etc. Looking for like minded individuals to exchange information about options available and hopefully hear some success stories.

Also, how do you find out about the CNC BBQ dates? I note there is one in FNQ in June this year. Wish I had known about these gab fests earlier. When is the next one in Melbourne? Is there any group meetings held to discuss all things CNC and bet on flies crawling up the wall

Greg

Hi Greg
    I'm in Sunbury and also would like to get together at meetings or BBQs. I am a new member, Just retired and looking to build a CNC Mill, in the proccess of research and purchase.

John

There are a couple of us in Bendigo who would like to attend any future gathering. Maybe we should just pick a date and location and just get on with it

Hi Ron
    Sounds good to me, what about you Greg?
    This weekend is out for me, grand daughter in Albury just had a baby.
    Regards John

I'm certainly 'in. I'm the other member in Bendigo...
    A few weeks' notice would be good!

I've built an ELS (mechanical lathe parts not quite finished) and an electronic rotary table controller/digital dividing head (just about to finish the mechanical components).
    Also working on a 3-axis + RPM DRO - nearly there...
    All with considerable support by the respective designers.
    I'd be happy to bring them along for a "show and tell".
    Planning to retrofit my Cash Horizontal Mill for CNC control (made in Melbourne around 1940s)....
    Learning heaps from this forum!

See you there!
    Joe

PS: @ sally-snow:
    are you planning to send some samples and brochures over? Or have your Australian distributor sponsor the event?
    What did you have in mind? Happy to consider any proposal by your company.
    Joe in Aus

Hi Greg,

I'm in Geelong and have an FM3VK, I often think I should retrofit it but never seem to commit to doing it. My dad uses it quiet a lot and he's computer illiterate so the best option for me is to have a setup where the belts can be disengaged from the motors to allow it to be used as a manual mill.

I'm working full time and recently started a degree in mechanical engineering, needless to say I wouldn't have time to do a retrofit even if I wanted to.

I've not found a generic ballscrew kit to suit a Chevalier, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if a kit for a different brand is dimensionally compatible with a chevalier.

Here's a link that ma be useful: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...ler_fm3vk.html

Cheers
    Splint

Hello

I'm a very recently joined lurker. I'm in Melbourne's East and I am interested in a meet/bbq get together. Need a bit of notice though.

Cheers
    Richard
    everytdh

Greg,

I am in Ringwood. I am new to CNC and built a little homebrew type. CNC with an Ozito spindle.

I can talk to our radio club and see if we could use the rooms in Burwood for a BBQ. They have the facilities and BBQ equipment on site.

Alternatively you can try tie in the the Melbourne Society of Model and Experimental Engineers group. I am not a member. They are a friendly group but don't have the disabled access I need.

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Guys (I think Seven of us so far around Melbourne)
    How about that Barbeque a reality?, if we nominate -day-night-Fri-Sat-Sun that suits each of us, we will be able to select a common time.
    At the moment I am clear the next two weekends and my time is flexable.

Looking forward to meeting with you all.

John

Saturday pm sometime (early afternoon onwards) would suit me best, Sunday any time next best, then Friday evening (after 7:30pm - working until) around 5pm and 2 hrs drive to northern half of Melbourne).
    Cheers,
    Joe
    Joe in Aus

I am available this Friday evening, Saturday afternoon/evening.

I am not sure of the following weekend.

Cheers,

Andrew

Howdy

This Friday and Saturday arvo and evening are no good for me but future ones maybe oK. I work irregular shift so you never know. Sundays I am usually available. I'm a newbie so I'll go with the flow.

Cheers
    Richard

Any more ideas on this guys?

Cheers,

Andrew

How about we set a date and then see how everyone goes for arranging their shifts/obligations/home duties?
    I'll vote for Sunday Mai 1 at 2:00pm at a venue to be arranged.
    Andrew, if sufficient of us can make that date, could you check out if the Radio Club in Burwood rooms are available that day?

Another thing: The Bendigo Model Engineers Club is holding its 10th National Exhibition on July 2-3 in Kangaroo Flat (Bendigo). There are always a number of people with CNC machines here each time - along with all sorts of interesting manualmachinery and demonstration of all kinds - and suppliers exhibits. See: http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melb...s.php?id=18928
    That would be a good venue for us to meet as a group again and have a look at all the model and other hobby engineering things.
    There is space for a group like us to meet and greet as well - and one of us could host a private BBQ in the park next to the exhibition centre.....

What do you think about a trip to the "country"?

Cheers,
    Joe
    Joe in Aus

I think the The Bendigo Model Engineers Club meet sounds good to me. I'd offer a meet at my place in Sunbury but I'm in the process of building a Deck, so its very messy but when its finished I'd be happy host some BBqs and I think I'm more central.

Sorry guys my brain and my eyes are out of sync happens a lot these days.The Bendigo Model Engineers Club is in July not May, so I would still like have one earlier as Joe sugested 1st may.

Thanks Guys
    John

All in favour of 1st May 2011 for a lunch time BBQ say AYE and I can book the club. I will need to give some numbers to justify opening the rooms. Please respond if you are interested.

Who is in charge of the weather?

Cheers,

Andrew

Aye!:banana:
    Joe in Aus

Aye!
    But will be there a bit after 1.00pm due to kids function.

OK. It is a go! I have got permission to use the EMDRC club rooms for the BBQ. The BBQ will be a BYO. The address is : 13A McCubbin St, Burwood.

Date : 1 May 2011 starting at 12:30.

Please feel free to visit the EMDRC web site for directions and history.

EMDRC - Club Rooms

We are required to clean up after the event as there is limited rubbish pick-up on site.

Cheers,

Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123