584,808 active members*
5,062 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > LB15 won't start this morning???

LB15 won't start this morning???

Guys, I need some help.
    During yesterday's "lights out" operation of my LB15 (OSP5000LG), my lathe made one part normal and half of a second part. Then it died.
    Every light on the panel is lit and no buttons work.
    After reboot, it doesn't go through its normal checklist. It has a screen that I have never seen before. It says:
    2001 OPERATIONAL PANEL READY ERROR 00000001
    SBP MONITOR
    <

In the book, it says "The operational panel ready flag is not turned on."

Defective operational panel?
    Defective comm line between CRP and the operation panel?

Check wiring and connections...or replace the operational panel, the CRP board or the Comm cables.

What does this mean??? Have any of you ever fought this error? Is there a procedure that will determine which of the three possibilities is the faulty part? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am biting the bullet and replacing the CRP board.

I am 80% sure thats the problem...I will know tomorrow morning.

I feel like I am talking to myself here... =)

Anyone curious, I replaced the board and the problem remained.
    Luckily, I dealt with Okuma directly and was able to return the purchased board and was only charged a "testing" fee....which is the same price it would have been if I had shipped my board to Okuma. This way was quicker.

That leaves two options. Cable (unlikely) and operator panel (likely).

The bottom control panel is the one you have to replace according to my service tech. The bare board inside the panel is the likely culprit...and is only $400 bux....but all three of them in the world are in Japan (yeah...'cross the big pond) and I would be looking at a week or better that I don't have to get one.

I got lucky though....I scored an entire bottom panel...with switches and all (complete) for $400 bux (well...plus $150 for overnight across country delivery) with a money back guarantee! Hopefully this time tomorrow I will back into production mode....for less that that CRP panel was about to cost.

Good goin' homie. If the source of the new stuff is good be sure to post it.

Cranus
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

What a BULL-POOP day.

So, after spending all farking day changing out a lower control panel against my better judgement, I still have the same problem. I'm not the finger pointing type, but my error, as you can see in the attachment, is an operation panel error. At the recommendation of the service tech, I bought and changed out a control panel....even though right above where I spent the day working was a label that plainly stated OPERATION PANEL. I dont know if many of you have ever delved into the control panel housing, but I bet I worked with 300 wires if I touched 1. Only to have the same problem. After contacting a second service tech, he started down the same path, until I said, again, what about the fact that the crt unit has a label that says OPERATION PANEL. He then looked at a breakdown and said, your right.

Here comes the painful part. Being right sux. Now, on top of everything else, I have to buy a replacement operation panel. Have any of you priced THESE things??? How about $6,262 . It is a brand new unit, with a LCD screen, but JEEZE! What else can I do? It will be here in the morning. I wont be installing it until Monday though...I need a break on this project. I spent the last part of the day re-installing my original lower control panel. I am excited to get the new unit installed, and if there is one LB15 worth another $6k, its this one. It looks brand new, and after this, will look like a 2011 model.

I hope this thread gets archived for future reference. I had nothing to go on.
    I wish I had titled it "LB15 2001 Operation Panel Ready Error".

I will post back Monday. Time for Beer(s)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails downsized_0310111056.jpg  

say "yeah LCD". And all new F keys and what not.

Cranus

Well, after installing my brand new $6k (boy just saying that hurts my feelings) operation panel, my problem is now solved. The LB15 is back up running production and looks really good with its new upper half. The only gripe I have is (aside from the obvious BS price) is that none of the new buttons have any words...so it doesn't say MDI or Auto or Manual, or anything for that matter. Why would that have been so hard to include?

I can here the squeal of D2 out there parting off as I type. I can't believe how much I have missed it.

Here are a few pics of the way it looks now...including the lack of button tag words.

Ooops. Here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails downsized_0314111115.jpg   downsized_0314111116.jpg   downsized_0314111116a.jpg  

YEAH :banana: :wee: , what do you need next Greg? signs that point to the button that tells you what to do

Hehehe...it just seemed a little presumptuous not to label those keys. For me, no biggie...but for the guy who will be pushing the buttons a lot of the time its going to be confusing. The buttons say NOTHING and the stupid picture on the buttons, to me, only adds to the confusion.

What I NEED is a guy, about my age, with lots of background, to come and run them FOR ME! Where might I find such a guy ??? :wave:

Gotta love the Egyptian way of labelling things now... our new Okuma Soarer L300E-M only seems to use damn hieroglyphs also, damn it is annoying when I go out to the machine to help out and I have to keep asking the guys... "Which button is the ... function?"

Yeah, gotta love the new "global panels". Look at the bright side...if you get a job in Japan, you will still know what the buttons do!

BTW, a $10 label printer at your local office supply store will put some pretty nice labels on the keys that won't rub off.

New control look great though and will last longer than the CRT without the "burn in".

Best regards,

Re: LB15 won't start this morning???

Thanks for your post I am having same issue but my machine will restart

2001 operational panel ready problem is just coming from the interface board (mid board).

Quote Originally Posted by Dell1026 View Post
    2001 operational panel ready problem is just coming from the interface board (mid board).
    Dear all,
    I'm new and I'm three days ago I start experiencing the same problem:

OPERATIONAL PANEL READY ERROR 00000001

(Okuma LB15 controller 5020)

You are pointing your finger on interface board (mid board). Could you be more precise? As a basic user I need some guidance trying to solve this issue. Actually I do not have enough money to buy a full new controller. There is anybody could help me?

Thanks

Vittorio

Quote Originally Posted by Chiccoone View Post
    Dear all,
    I'm new and I'm three days ago I start experiencing the same problem:

OPERATIONAL PANEL READY ERROR 00000001

(Okuma LB15 controller 5020)

You are pointing your finger on interface board (mid board). Could you be more precise? As a basic user I need some guidance trying to solve this issue. Actually I do not have enough money to buy a full new controller. There is anybody could help me?

Thanks

Vittorio
    I have the same issue this morning! Did you end up fixing this and if so how, I'd like to learn more about the "mid board".

Quote Originally Posted by WGJ View Post
    What a BULL-POOP day.

So, after spending all farking day changing out a lower control panel against my better judgement, I still have the same problem. I'm not the finger pointing type, but my error, as you can see in the attachment, is an operation panel error. At the recommendation of the service tech, I bought and changed out a control panel....even though right above where I spent the day working was a label that plainly stated OPERATION PANEL. I dont know if many of you have ever delved into the control panel housing, but I bet I worked with 300 wires if I touched 1. Only to have the same problem. After contacting a second service tech, he started down the same path, until I said, again, what about the fact that the crt unit has a label that says OPERATION PANEL. He then looked at a breakdown and said, your right.

Here comes the painful part. Being right sux. Now, on top of everything else, I have to buy a replacement operation panel. Have any of you priced THESE things??? How about $6,262 . It is a brand new unit, with a LCD screen, but JEEZE! What else can I do? It will be here in the morning. I wont be installing it until Monday though...I need a break on this project. I spent the last part of the day re-installing my original lower control panel. I am excited to get the new unit installed, and if there is one LB15 worth another $6k, its this one. It looks brand new, and after this, will look like a 2011 model.

I hope this thread gets archived for future reference. I had nothing to go on.
    I wish I had titled it "LB15 2001 Operation Panel Ready Error".

I will post back Monday. Time for Beer(s)
    $6,262 is too much!
    It can even buy a full CNC package including the whole CNC controller with operation panel, plus one set AC servo spindle motor & driver, three sets AC servo motors & drivers for XYZ axes.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html