584,866 active members*
5,228 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Chamfer chamfer mill or ball mill

Chamfer chamfer mill or ball mill

When chamfering part edges do most of you use an actual chamfer mill with a contour path , a ball end mill with surface contour, or other?

wireframe geometry for 2D/3D chamfering with a chamfermill
    Mastercam calculates the chamfers from the sharp corner geometry, you have to "fudge" it if you select different geometry

an actual chamfer surface for a ballnose or bullmill to follow

Toolpath - Contour - 2d (or 3d) Chamfer (for pretty much most of your 90 degree or other normal size chamfer)

I make my own Chamfermills normally. Just draw it normally in the tool definition page (angle, tip diameter, length, etc) and Mastercam does the rest. Just tell Mastercam what size chamfer you need and the tip offset you want.

Use the same contour lines that you used for the finish profile with your endmill. Super Super simple to get really sweet chamfers.

For extra big chamfers I'll use a ball endmill and just surface it if there are only a few parts or it is a strange angle/chamfer.
    Tim

I always use surfaces, because we have to many different chamfer mills.some with piont some with .1 flat ..2 flat..etc. .I use a surface and a bull mill or sometimes a flat endmill if i need the the cutter to not go below the end of the chamfer.I found its quicker because with so many different chamfer mills and having to "work it in " my operators can make a good part the first time without having to use any offsets.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar View Post
    I always use surfaces, because we have to many different chamfer mills.some with piont some with .1 flat ..2 flat..etc. .I use a surface and a bull mill or sometimes a flat endmill if i need the the cutter to not go below the end of the chamfer.I found its quicker because with so many different chamfer mills and having to "work it in " my operators can make a good part the first time without having to use any offsets.
    Thanks, this is kind of what I was thinking too!