584,841 active members*
4,431 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question fanuc program code vs. Haas code

this is officially my first time posting as a member... I have found very useful information on this site.... Anyways i am needing to know if there is a differance between writing a g code program on a fanuc controller and a haas controller.... I currently work in a shop with all fanuc control and can write and edit programs easily but i am enrolling in a programming class that uses all haas machines.... Will the programs interchange from mill to mill?

Most Fanuc programs should run on a Haas without major changes.

Haas has some additional cycles (G12, G13, G150, for example) that Fanuc doesn't support, so if you use those codes in your Haas programs, they won't run on a Fanuc.

There are subtle differences - though I admit I only have experience with mills, not lathes. Plus, I believe the Haas has two modes of control - Fanuc based or Yasnac based. There are help menus to remind you what address codes are required for canned cycles, so you should find it a doddle if the Fanuc controls you are used to are particularly archaic.

Having gone in the other direction myself, I believe you may find Haas a little more user friendly once you are comfortable navigating around the control (there do seem to be too many buttons though, including a home button which you really don't want to press accidentally).

From a milling program point of view I find the Haas specific canned cycles and patterns to be useful, uncomplicated and good enough to get the job done - and I like the M97 sub call that stays within the main program.

DP

ps I wouldn't want to go back after running Manual Guide i for so long though...

well i know one small change from my machines at work is that the haas wont read a g1 it has to be g01 and also it is needed to repeat the g01 on every line unlike on the fanuc where i can get away with only entering it once until it changes..... What else should i expect along these lines?

Quote Originally Posted by sixty8frbrd View Post
    well i know one small change from my machines at work is that the haas wont read a g1 it has to be g01 and also it is needed to repeat the g01 on every line unlike on the fanuc where i can get away with only entering it once until it changes
    I think there must be something wrong with your Haas. I've never seen one that won't read G1 as G01 or that G01 wasn't modal.

well i havent actually tried to put one of my programs in the haas yet but i am going off what the instructor had said... I might try it and run it in the simulator and see what happens.... Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by sixty8frbrd View Post
    well i havent actually tried to put one of my programs in the haas yet but i am going off what the instructor had said... I might try it and run it in the simulator and see what happens.... Thanks for the info
    With all due respect I think that you are going to find that your instructor is wrong unless there is something wrong with your machine as Dave has stated. Having to repeat the same modal calls in every line is a long time in the past.

I still get journeymen machinist that type all of there code.
    G00X1.0000
    G00Z.10000
    G01Z-0.1000F1.00
    G01X1.0000F1.00
    G00Z1.0000

And if I program it
    G0X1.
    Z.1
    G1Z-.1F1.
    X1.
    G0Z1.
    They will actually edit my code to the original. Now days it does not matter much do to the increase in memory but it sure does annoy the crap out of me. I still got guys that have to add an N() address before every line.

Stevo