584,863 active members*
4,866 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Conversion kits

Hi am new to plasma cutting. I do know Corel draw very well. So lets start off i have 5x10 table with a hypertherm powermax 1000. this system is a cybermation and is worthless. It has 2 motors on it with encoders that have a wheel and roll on a track. The system is a Hvac system and the software well lets say it is a dos base and it is bad. So i want to take the motors off they are Nema 24 replace them with some good motors with built in encoders ( i think this is the way to go for simplicity) with minimal modifications. install new control unit with something else which i dont know what one to buy. It has a air driven torch cylinder that the dnc will open the switch to drop the torch and the torch end has rollers that ride on the material to set its own height so the controller will need to command the switch to lift and lower the head. I only want to do metal art projects ect no hvac. Which brand is better with less problems I have looked at camsoft, candcnc units everyones product seems the same with all the promise that it will work what are you guys using in real life and is the setup smooth. I want to be able to make a design and open the file in their software but my lead in's and out's and cut. Adjust speed for cutting and material ect. So basically i have a table and want to strip it down and buy 2 motors and control unit and good software for designs and True type fonts.

Your best bet is to talk with Tom at www.candcnc.com He has everything you need to bring that old Cybermation up to speed!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Another vote for Tom at C&CNC!

Make that 3 votes for Tom

how dose one determine what size pulleys to use when you do a build or a conversion

Quote Originally Posted by dlll View Post
    how dose one determine what size pulleys to use when you do a build or a conversion

Easiest "rule of thumb" for stepper based systems is to have the load (torch ) move 1" for each rotation of the motor. For Servos (because of their much higher RPM and lower torque numbers you need to make that about 8 to 10 rev of the motor for 1". Those ratios will give you the best compromise between speed and torque for plasma cutting. Router only tables need slightly different ratios.

To get the belt reduction ratio determine how far the drive element (pinion, pulley, etc) moves the load in one rev of it and then calculate what reduction it would take to make it only move it 1" (for a stepper).

You will grow to despise that drag torch approach for decorative cutting.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Sorry I mispoke on the servo numbers (was thinking total reduction ratio with a 1" pinion) It needs to be about 4 or 5 rev of the motor = 1" of linear motion. Servos typically spin about 2500 to 3000 RPM. The higher ratio gains you back the torque and gives you adequate speeds for plasma. So if the load moves .25 inches per rev you can expect 625 IPM top speeds or more and excellent resolution and torque.