585,665 active members*
3,512 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > How to chamfer/finish pass

How to chamfer/finish pass

OK, am I just overlooking it? To create a finish pass and/or chamfer pass - do I just copy the machining operation and change the stats of that operation (tool, depth, offset, etc.)? Or, is there a simpler method?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

There are a couple of parameters in machining operations like FinalDepthIncrement and FinishStepover that can be used to create a finer cut on the last pass.

However you are probably better off creating another machining operation for the finishing pass or chamfer, where you will have more control. You may want to decrease the feedrate or use climb milling for your finish pass for example.

I don't know if you have seen it, but 0.9.8 has a system of machining styles now which is handy for this sort of thing. For example you could set up styles for 'Roughing', 'Finish' or 'Chamfer' then just select these styles when you create your machining operations.

There is a video tutorial about it here:
    "CamBam 0.9.8 - Styles Overview" on this page CamBam CNC Software - Video Tutorials

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    OK, am I just overlooking it? To create a finish pass and/or chamfer pass - do I just copy the machining operation and change the stats of that operation (tool, depth, offset, etc.)? Or, is there a simpler method?

Thanks in advance.

Bill
    www.cambam.co.uk

Awesome. Thanks 10 Bulls. Brings another question to mind - will CAMBAM stop for tool change (hey, I'm a little guy, no ATC here)?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wildwhl View Post
    Awesome. Thanks 10 Bulls. Brings another question to mind - will CAMBAM stop for tool change (hey, I'm a little guy, no ATC here)?

Bill
    Yes, provided you use different ToolNumber properties in your machining operations where you want to change tools.

The other thing to check is that Mach3 is set to pause at a tool change (set in Mach's General Config). The default setting does not usually pause.

When Mach pauses you can jog about, change your tool, rezero the Z, then cycle start again when ready. It is a bit nerve wracking the first few times as Mach goes hurtling back to where you left off (and you wonder...now did I remember to zero the Z right ) ...but eventually you learn not to snap quite so many tools.
    www.cambam.co.uk

Ahhh...yes....the wonderful zing of a snapped tool and following silence of an aircut, I know it well

Thanks again.

Bill

OK...paying member this weekend.

CAMBAM does it for me. Lame example attached (but great software, IMHO).

WW

This was a comforting line. So much truth in that last paragraph.
    :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10bulls View Post
    Yes, provided you use different ToolNumber properties in your machining operations where you want to change tools.

The other thing to check is that Mach3 is set to pause at a tool change (set in Mach's General Config). The default setting does not usually pause.

When Mach pauses you can jog about, change your tool, rezero the Z, then cycle start again when ready. It is a bit nerve wracking the first few times as Mach goes hurtling back to where you left off (and you wonder...now did I remember to zero the Z right ) ...but eventually you learn not to snap quite so many tools.