585,925 active members*
3,513 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Typical Backlash on a new Yuasa 8" Rotary Table

Typical Backlash on a new Yuasa 8" Rotary Table

Whats' a reasonable ammount of backlash on a new Yuasa 8" or 10" rotary table ? I just bought a used one and the backlash is 25 minutes or about 1/8th of a turn of the dial. Is this useable?

Best regards -- Roy

Roy,
    I am unfamiliar with the Yuasa brand but most have some sort of backlash adjustment, however it is common practice on rotory tables to avoid reversing the direction once you start turning, thus effectively eliminating this error. If it is necessary most have a adjustable dial that you can zero so you can to return to nearly the precise point of reversal, much like on any lathe.
    I would think the 1/8 turn a bit loose but I do not see why it would not be more then useable.

Ken

HI Ken,

Thanks for your thoughts. I can't find anoter adjutmet on the tabe to take the backlash out. Others have also mentioned that most rotary tables have this feature. Unfotunately, I don't have any doccunentation on this table so I am abit lost as what to do next.

Roy

Does yours have an eccentric shaft?

If so, the only thing that comes to mind is making sure you engage the shaft as tight as possible to eliminate as much of the backlash as possible. But then again I am basing this comment on the Phase II table that I own (Phase II has an eccentric shaft to engage and disengage the worm). I have dismantled almost the entire table and I don't know where else one would adjust something to reduce the backlash, at least from a Phase II table point of view, except reducing the play between the worm and the gear.

Chris

Thanks ChrisJ,

Mine must have an ecentric somewhere. I am going to dismantle the table and see what I can find. Thanks for your suggestions.

Roy

I think this is the same as the 6" Taiwanese rotary table I have, and there is a lever sticking out from a coloar under the hand wheel which is the eccentric engagement, and a little T bar on the main casting to lock the eccentric position.
    Regards,
    Mark