585,727 active members*
3,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > High School needs help with Tree VMC1050

High School needs help with Tree VMC1050

My problem is very similar to a previous thread. A company wants to donate this machine, A Tree VMC 1050 with a Dynapath control. My guess is that it is from around 1994. It has the manuals with it. It has been sitting quite a while but I am told that it worked fine. It powers on but I can't get the axes to move. I can clear all the faults except "Axes need refferenced" when I try to reference them according to the manuals by going to the jog mode and selecting R and then cycle start the carousells (there are two tool changing carousells) will start to spin and I assume home themselves but the axes don't move and the Faults start flashing.
    I am sure this machine works and there is just something simple keeping the axes from moving. According to the manual the axes should be able to move even though they are not referenced. I have read where there are places to move the axes manually but not being familiar with the machine I cant find any of those. If anyone could point me to where those are that would be helpfull, pictures would be great too. Also there is a key switch near the main power on switch, anyone know what that is for?

Here is what I have verified so far:
    -Machine has sufficient air pressure and I can insert tools in and out of the spindle.
    -I can jog the carousells at the side of the machine
    -Oiler on back is filled up
    -I can hear the contacters click in when I push the start button
    -chip augers will turn on

I would be greatfull for any help
    Thanks
    Jake Hogan
    Canon City High School Machine Shop
    Canon City, CO

If I was closer I'd spend a couple hours teaching that control. The key switch is for the door interlock. If the magazines reference, either the feed rate knob is turned off, or the doors are open. There are two axis plates to move the axis by hand. One is dead center of the front of the machine, about testy level. The other is on the side of the machine, for the x axis. Y has to be lined up before you can put a wrench in for the x. The machine originally came with some long speed wrench looking thing to fit on the end of the ballscrew.

The machine has been sitting quite a while and none of the current employees know anything about it. I don't see any wrench laying around but I wouldn't know what it would look like anyway. Would it be like an allen wrench or Hex head?

Is there a hand crank for the Z axis?

Is it possible that I need to move the axes by hand first to get it to home itsself again?

The feed rate overide knob is defintely turned up and all the E-stop switches are out and I have tried it with the doors closed?

Another thing I noticed is that the Motion stop button (to the left of the cycle start) lights up red when I try to jog it. I push it but doesn't seem to change anything.

something to think about

Jake, I think we need to check the automatic lube on the back of the machine, it should have a pressure switch, if the pressure is low this will kill the axis movement, but it should alarm somewhere and show it. Also could have the reference limit switches stuck just like the tool carousel switch was.

Mike

carousel home

We also need to check the carousel home position, the left side should line up with spindle change to #1 pocket and right side should line up with #21 pocket for tool change. I forgot to look while I was there.
    Mike

The Carousels seem to be lined up correctly. The lube on the back had a hand pump so I pumped it up pretty good. Still no luck though.

Re: High School needs help with Tree VMC1050

Hello All, I just bought a Tree VMC1050 with the Dynapath control, and came with no manuals. I need them and the electric diagram in order to get it in working condition. Can you help me???

Quote Originally Posted by maquiza View Post
    Hello All, I just bought a Tree VMC1050 with the Dynapath control, and came with no manuals. I need them and the electric diagram in order to get it in working condition. Can you help me???
    Did you get any help with the manuals yet I may have a set for a tree vmc760 (circa 1996)