So, two years after I get my X2 CNC'd I decided to add spindle control, in preparation for maybe a full-on ATC (already have a power drawbar). I need some advice on how other people have wired theirs up.

The good news is I got the basic 0-10V control working with my C11 without frying anything! Arturo was very helpful as were various threads here and especially this page on which terminals on the control board to connect things to.

Part 3 - Connecting to a X2 Motor Controller : JDCNCSolutions, CNC made affordable

Right now I have just the 0-10V control hooked up; the spindle power and pot on/off are still connected in their stock configuration. So I still need to cycle the knob off and on in order to start the spindle.

My question is, can I leave it this way or should I connect the spindle enable (ie the on/off function of the speed pot) or AC power through a relay? Right now, I only have to cycle the pot once per session. If I turn the spindle on to some speed then turn it off, it takes a little while to come to a stop but it does stop. I can turn it on and off as many times as I want without touching the pot so it's not inconvenient. However my meter tells me the DC signal is still like .01-.02V when the spindle is not moving and I'm not sure if this is bad in any way.

I would prefer to not have to switch the spindle power as that would require me to run the spindle power through my control cabinet, and I figure I'm safer having that totally outside. Also, I could use the two relays for coolant and drawbar control, which would be ideal for my setup. If I have to switch the spindle on and off in some way, could I use the enable signal instead and get the same benefit since tripping it prevents the motor from turning?

Thanks in advance!