585,604 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Screen goes out at 6000 rpms

Screen goes out at 6000 rpms

I have a Partner 1 with a cent 5 controller. When the machine runs at 6000 rpms the screen goes out. It doesn't do it at any other rpms. I don't normally run that high, but I was running some carbide endmills in aluminum. When I first try to run it at 6000 rpms after the machine has been ran at other rpms for a couple of days I can run it at 6000 for about 5 min then the screen will go green the black. Then I have to shut the machine down and restart it. Once it does it as soon as it goes to 6000 rpms again, the screen will go off. It stays on at other rpms all day. Any ideas?

Hitting the limits on the power supply, as far as I know. My best theory, anyway.

I could be wrong, too.

My work machine, a Partner IV, w/CentV, goes flickers, then blacks out, if I push the feedrate up too high while cutting at high rpm. It would come back on, when the feedrate or the rpm were dropped. Fairly consistently.

I've been pondering putting a meter to the power supply when it's under load, but it has not been, well, enough of a bother to get around to it.

Ours did not just stall in place, it tended to keep running the program, just no screen. I think I had it just stop, once.

I was wondering if the draw was causing the power at the 110v power supply to fade out a bit.

It had other issues right now. Trying to get some forward motion on a single-card upgrade that should have been a no-brainer.

Cheers
    Trev

Yeah the machine continues to run the program but the screen blacks out. The only way I can get the screen to come back on is to shut the machine off and restart it.

Try this:

First, re-seat the VGA card in the card cage and check all the connections between the card and the front panel monitor.

If you don't find anything loose or bad, plug a computer monitor into the DB15 connector in the front panel.

Run the machine using your computer monitor to see if the problem is the front panel monitor or the graphic card or cables.

If everything is okay, it's the FP monitor. You should be able find a local repair shop that can work on computer monitors. You can continue to use the machine with the computer monitor while the repair gets done. The nicest (but mose expensive) solution is to get a new LCD Front Panel from Milltronics, then you will get all new keypads, switches, E-stop button, and pulse generator, as well as the LCD screen.

If it's still bad, you will need to find a different VGA card to try.

If it is STILL bad, you will have to check out the cable.

I expect you will find a bad monitor.

Good luck.

Ok, booted the machine up today and the screen wouldn't come on. Hooked an external monitor up and still nothing. Rebooted the machine and the external monitor came on but was green and fuzzy. (this monitor is good) When the machine started running the screen went black, I could still make out the screen in the background if I looked closely. Ran continuity on the cable and it shows to be good. So I'm guessing its the VGA card?

Quote Originally Posted by dlenardu View Post
    Ok, booted the machine up today and the screen wouldn't come on. Hooked an external monitor up and still nothing. Rebooted the machine and the external monitor came on but was green and fuzzy. (this monitor is good) When the machine started running the screen went black, I could still make out the screen in the background if I looked closely. Ran continuity on the cable and it shows to be good. So I'm guessing its the VGA card?

Mine had a similar problem but it did have other issues staring up also, Turned out it was my power supply like someone had mentioned earlier, i found one on ebay for 10 bucks and haven't had the same problem since. Any supply should work you just may have to cut the wires and reinstall the plugs to fit. Try checking the voltages out of the psu when everything is o.k. then recheck after it's gone dead to see if there's a drop. If not then i would guess your right about the VGA card. Hope this helps