585,908 active members*
3,829 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Kool Mist #77 proper mixture for flood

Arrow Kool Mist #77 proper mixture for flood

I have read numerous posts of this stuff causing rust, read as many said they get no rust of their machine's as well ... I live near Pittsburgh PA ... we have city water and its deemed as hard water here ... wondering if anyone else uses this for their flood coolant and what ratio's they use and do you use tap water or distilled water ... it says mix 32:1 (4 oz per gallon of water)... read some people mix up to 8 oz to a gallon and that solved any problems ... I just don't want to waste it if not needed.

I have not yet mixed this or used this, just wanted an informed opinion before I get to using it.

Koolmist says its product #77 and #78 is suitable for Flood and Mist ... again I am using it for flood coolant, perhaps may put some in a spray bottle as well for quick jobs when not using flood.

Thanks for any replies

An update on this since I got no replies perhaps this could help someone else.

I ended up just mixing it 8 ounces per gallon of tap water instead of the recomended 4 ounces per gallon, I had read someone else had problems but after they did this there was no more problems.

A few nights ago I was milling aluminum with flood, it was in the evening and went into the house to eat dinner and somehow fell asleep like a goof, woke in the morning and was like hell the mill was left all covered with shavings and wet ... well went in and everything was dry and no stains or rust of any kind.

Re: Kool Mist #77 proper mixture for flood

This thread came up when I was searching for info about Kool Mist 77 vs 78 so I figured I'd put my $0.02 in even though it's an old thread..

First time I used #78, I had rust all over the machine afterwards. I live in Phoenix and we have very hard water. Kool Mist told me to use distilled. Sure it cost more but I only have one machine that doesn't run often so it's not bad. I've never had a problem with rust after that.