584,861 active members*
4,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2001 VF1 Wont boot up!

We have a 2001 VF1 which developed a major coolant leak in the main line for the flood coolant. I shut the machine down and removed the sheet metal that covers the head. I powered the machine up again and turned on the coolant to see where the leak was then powered everything down again. I found the leak was at the very top where the line bends to come down into the head. I took the entire line out and replaced it. I then put all the sheet metal back on. I turned the power back on to the machine and now it wont boot up.

Normally when I hit the main power button on the front I get a loud "BEEP" then the machine boots up. This does not happen the screen is blank. I can see a little green light in the control and it is on, so there must be power getting to the control?

Any suggestions?

Check to voltage going to the board stack (CPU, Video, MOCON) You should have +12 and +5 volts. Also try holding down the "PRGRM CONVRS" button on the keypad at boot. It should show you your CPU version and memory. Dont press any more buttons at that point turn it back off. Let us know what you find.

won't boot up

Check the 115 volt solenoid, pump, and fan wiring in the spindle head.
    A short in one of those might trip a breaker that supplies power to electronics.

I checked all the fuses and breakers this morning and they are all good. Tried holding down the "PRGRM CONVRS" button on the keypad and that didn't work either. I called the closest HFO and they were unhelpful as usual. They don't really want to help over the phone because they can log 6 hrs of travel time at $115/hr. to come fix it. My boss can't wait any longer so they are coming tomorrow. Last time there was a sticky limit switch on the tool changer and he knew exactly what the problem was and it took him five minutes to fix. Thanks for the help. I'll post back what the problem was.

won't boot up

Still...
    There are things you can easily check.
    If you were working in the spindle head area, almost certainly something there caused it.
    1) Does the main contactor engage when press ON? If not check main power.
    2) Do any red LEDs on the processor electronics (under cover top left) show on? If not, low voltage power supply is off - 3x6 card top right.
    3) If 115 VAC to low voltage power supply is missing, check breaker 3 inches below it.
    4) If LEDs on processor are on, something in spindle head could have shorted 5 volt power. That could be an encoder cable.
    5) Look all over for loose, pinched, or crushed cables.

This is probably not it, but worth checking. Where I worked a couple of years ago, we kept have squirrels go up on the power lines and bar-b-q themselves and that took a leg of our three phase out. One day it only a certain leg out and left two on and the Haas Mini-mill had power but would not fire up. We didn't notice what it was untill we found some office lights out.

Probably not it but check your breakers and make sure you have all three legs at the machine.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Had the same problem on the same model machine and it was the low voltage power supply it would act up more in the cold weather before it completly went out.

I am with Wizzard of H on this. I am willing to bet its due to a shorted 5 volt power rail on the CPU stack. The encoders are powered off that rail from the mocon board. If one is shorted you wont be getting the power to boot the logic boards. As he said... power it on and look at the leds on the cpu board of the cpu stack. If they are not lighting up your not getting power. You should have +12 and + 5 (same as a computer power supply). I would try unplugging the encoders from the mocon board and see if you boot. (You can also do this by unplugging the axis from the side of the control cabinet. instead of the mocon board) If you do power back off and plug in one at a time (be sure to power off between tests.. uplugging and plugging in cables.) If the original problem was in the head I would try z first. Make sure you use a static strap when handling the boards as they are CMOS and easily damaged with static electricity. Also it is always wise to press the estop before powering up as the machine is unpredictable when in this state.

Thanks for all your input guys. It turns out that a few drops of coolant ran down the hose and dropped onto the power supply for the control in the back electrical cabinet and fried the board.