585,728 active members*
4,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TC-22 Z-Axis Current Motor Overload

From time to time I get this alarm (Z-Axis Current Motor Overload) when the machine is rigid tapping, drill pecking, or quick movement. Then when you home machine, sometimes it moves the x-axis zero. These may be two different problems. This is a Bridgeport TC-22 / DX-32 control.

What kind of Z axis motor do you have? The original machines were shipped with a SEM Z axis motor. There was an upgrade to a Parvex motor which was stronger. The drive was also changed to a stronger one.
    What is the serial number of your machine?
    What version of software are you running?

X axis homing in a different place is because the marker pulse on the X axis motor encoder occurs at the same time as the X home switch making. Move the home dog for the X axis so it will be seen sooner. about .030 inches should be enough.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The motor is a SEM. SN# T-194. Software Version VMC All 4.79.22_6.89.57

There were a lot of modifications/updates to these machines. Your serial number should have most of these incorporated.
    Your software version is the latest.
    The SEM motor may be your problem. Per BPT service bulletins, these motors should be examined every 4000 hours of operation. Yes, I admit that most of these motors can go a lot longer before they beg for attention. This is a DC motor and has brushes. They are probably worn out and cannot transfer the energy needed to the motor to function correctly. How old is this machine? (Just making a point) Has this motor ever been overhauled? Do not go to a local motor shop. They will with a high probability mess it up. If need be call Alan at my office. He knows the only person BPT thought was good enough to work on these motors. 1-800-245-2598.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)