586,019 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

G0704 Motor replacement

I just blew my second motor a few days ago. A replacement is already ordered and I found out today that it is back ordered until "around" April 27th. I need another motor so I can stay productive in the meantime.

What about this motor as a replacement?

McMaster-Carr
    Particularly the NEMA 56C C-Face-Mount AC Motors 1hp version #6135K57

I'm a little unsure on the amp rating and the rpm as the motor supplied from Grizzly specs:
    1 HP (though probably substantially less in reality)
    110V
    Single phase
    3.2 Amps
    5300rpm
    60 Hz

The motor I'm interested in McMaster is rated at (Full Load Amps?):
    12.0 Amps
    3450 rpm

Will I burn down the machine, my house and the neighborhood with that higher amp rating?
    Will I get the rpm's at the spindle I'll need or will I have to gear up the motor?
    Can the speed be variable as with the original motor?

Obviously I don't know much about electric motors except that I need a new one and do not want to wait until the end of April for Grizzly to send me my third replacement only have it take another crap on me.

I've looked at Hoss's recommendations and either they are over my head technically, shot down by other members for various reasons, too expensive for what it is and from where they are sourced from and no way in hell am I buying used electronics on eBay.

Any other recommendations/input would be greatly appreciated. I'll name my next project after you
    -Dave

I would love it if someone found a good solution built entirely of reliable and easily sourced parts like motors from mcmaster. That would make my day!
    Ian

It's an AC motor, the mills controller is DC and it's a 56C frame, it's a huge motor as I showed on the website.
    You could hook up a simple on/off switch for AC power and have 2 speeds with the hi/low selector.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Or perhaps a 6135K79 1hp 3phase, and a VFD for it:

http://www.driveswarehouse.com/Drive...0-007NFU1.html
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    It's an AC motor, the mills controller is DC and it's a 56C frame, it's a huge motor as I showed on the website.
    I missed the link to the actual motor on that part of your site.
    Aren't all 3-phase motors 220v?

So to have variable speed control, the motor has to be DC or run with one of those VFD's if it is going to be AC?
    That may be a bit more than I want to tackle at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    You could hook up a simple on/off switch for AC power and have 2 speeds with the hi/low selector.
    Hoss
    That would suck. :drowning:
    -Dave

actually, the more i'm reading up on this setup, the more I'm liking it. Those hitachi VFDs look pretty nice.

The two 1hp 3-ph motors that mcmaster have are 2-pole and 4-pole. The 2-pole is listed as 3450rpm, the 4-pole as 1725rpm. That'd be on 60hz 3phase.

The VFD will put out 0.5hz - 400hz. 0.5hz on a 2-pole would be 30rpm, or 15rpm on a 4-pole. The VFD manual claims it makes 100% torque at 6Hz, which'd be 360rpm or 180rpm.

400Hz would be 24krpm on the 2 pole and 12krpm on the 4 pole.

I'm thinking that 180-12,000rpm is a pretty decent range to have full torque available!

All in all, not a bad setup for under $400!
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    actually, the more i'm reading up on this setup, the more I'm liking it. Those hitachi VFDs look pretty nice.

The two 1hp 3-ph motors that mcmaster have are 2-pole and 4-pole. The 2-pole is listed as 3450rpm, the 4-pole as 1725rpm. That'd be on 60hz 3phase.

The VFD will put out 0.5hz - 400hz. 0.5hz on a 2-pole would be 30rpm, or 15rpm on a 4-pole. The VFD manual claims it makes 100% torque at 6Hz, which'd be 360rpm or 180rpm.

400Hz would be 24krpm on the 2 pole and 12krpm on the 4 pole.

I'm thinking that 180-12,000rpm is a pretty decent range to have full torque available!

All in all, not a bad setup for under $400!
    I don't know about you, but I would not want to be anywhere near any 60Hz motor that's being run at 400Hz (even IF I had one of those big padded suits the bomb disposal guys wear....)

Regards,
    Ray L.

400hz is probably overkill, but the drive'll do it
    Ian

4 pole motor @ 400hz = 12,000 rpm on a motor designed for 3600!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

4 pole motors are designed for 1800rpm... a 2-pole 3600rpm motor on 400hz would turn 24,000rpm
    Ian

I realize they RUN at that speed but have found they are constructed the same, bearing etc for the same manufacturer.
    I don't see a motor manuf. designing that specific between 4 pole/2pole?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by tmbg View Post
    400hz is probably overkill, but the drive'll do it
    The drive will put out 400 HZ, but will the motor take it without overheating, and will the bearings on the motor withstand that kind of speed? Also, it is my understanding that when you overspeed motors, you start to lose torque above the rated speed.

As to torque, the Hitachi VFD listed below is a V/F type drive. It does give constant torque, but that doesn't equate to constant power. Power is torque x rpms. At lower rpms, you will have less power. A sensorless Vector drive will give you better power at lower rpms than a V/F drive, down to about 30 percent of rated speed, I am told. A closed loop vector drive will give you better power at even lower speeds, but introduces a complication, because you need feedback from the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by RX-Heven View Post
    Aren't all 3-phase motors 220v?
    No they're not. Dual voltage 220/440 is fairly common, but there's other spec's including 200V(Japan market - but you'll see them on ebay), 575V and others.

I'm no authority, but I didn't see anyone else pick up on this question.

Patrick

matter of fact, I have seen some up to 4160V! Obviously not in the low hp range!
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post
    No they're not. Dual voltage 220/440 is fairly common, but there's other spec's including 200V(Japan market - but you'll see them on ebay), 575V and others.

Patrick
    Canada is predominately 575v.
    Usually 220v motors can be picked up relatively cheap here.
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Foxtrot View Post

I'm no authority, but I didn't see anyone else pick up on this question.

Patrick
    Thanks for picking that up.

I can't run 220v for the mill as I'm limited to your standard 110v wall outlet. Then I noticed while reading about one of those VFD's Hoss lists that you can input 110v and it will output 220v for the appropriate motor. The Hitachi VFD linked above does not seem to do that and does not appear they offer one that does.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    matter of fact, I have seen some up to 4160V! Obviously not in the low hp range!
    A few years back I had to modify the DC field source for some, these were induction motor start and synchronous run (wound rotor).
    Around 100hp 7 ft dia, they ran some huge 1 lung plant compressors.
    Circa around 1930, still going strong up to the 21st century.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks for picking that up.

I can't run 220v for the mill as I'm limited to your standard 110v wall outlet. Then I noticed while reading about one of those VFD's Hoss lists that you can input 110v and it will output 220v for the appropriate motor. The Hitachi VFD linked above does not seem to do that and does not appear they offer one that does.
    I'm looking at the Teco EV micro VFD. Input is 110, and it is a vector drive. They have an on-line manual, which is nice. They only go up to a 1 HP drive, tho.

Here's a link:

http://www.wolfautomation.com/Produc...roductID=28926

I just picked up a TECO Micro Drive from Wolf Automation. Mine's a 220V input unit, but they have one in 110V. Price is reasonable, but that 110V unit is gonna' pull a pretty good load on your circuit. The 1HP version requires 18A, so you'll need at least a 20A circuit.

Patrick

With the issues that i have been having to increase the speed of my mill i have gone for this one. from a large home treadmill i think this might be good.

Rated at 3.2hp continuous
    220V dc
    3200RPM
    11AMPS
    170mm diameter and 350mm long
    CW rotation but have access to both ends of the motor.

Total weight with the flywheel was 21Kg with it remove it is now 15kg which is only 10 more than original motor.

I am planning on using a Kbic 225 controller which will only provide 180v so i will get 2700 -2900 rpm so i may need to re gig the pulleys to increase the spindle speed.

The motor has been hardly used with no com or brush wear.

Page 1 of 3 123