585,729 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Foam in the laser tube and cooler

Any idea why foaming would occur in the laser tube and in the cooler...i used a mixture of 50|50 (de-ionized water and propylene glycol).

Not sure, I have a CW-5000 chiller and I run 50/50 automotive antifreeze/distilled water without any problems. Maybe flush the system out good with fresh water and refill it with a new mix, maybe some detergent from manufacturing was still in the tank??? That's my only guess.

If you let it run for awhile does it clear up or stay foamy? I just changed the water in mine yesterday and I also use distilled water and propylene glycol anti-freeze. When it first started with the fresh water it did produce some bubbles, but they cleared up in about a minute.

Did you use pure propylene glycol mixed with water? I think the PG antifreeze has an anti-foaming agent added.

Smile

the longer you let the cooler run the foaming issue gets even worse....i decided to drain the system and refill with de-ionized water...i think im gona leave it with plain water for now ....too anxious to get the darn thing going.

....I actually took some of that mixture filled half a container an shacked it for a short while....it nearly filled the container with foam.....what the hell..

I'm guessing that you used pure propylene glycol with water. Get some PG antifreeze if you can, it has an anti-foaming agent in it.

Foaming for me always meant either air trapped somewhere or air being sucked into the system somewhere.

Use pure water and aluminum safe anti freeze.

DO NOT ADD CHLORINE BLEACH as it will corrode the water passages shut in the tube within a few weeks, trust me
    www.classicplayfields.com