584,808 active members*
5,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I'm a newbie to CNC and only scratching the surface of what is out there, but in my opinion the most reliable solution would be to design the controller in hardware using VHDL or Verilog then program it in an FPGA or PLD such as what you can get from FPGA and CPLD Solutions from Xilinx, Inc....then if it works well and others want one you can send it out to make an ASIC.

Doing it yourself means you don't need to rely on anyone elses previous work...design and build it the way you want it. And building it as an ASIC means you don't need to worry about the timing of a USB or Parallel port because you have total uninterrupted control over everything...your imagination is the only limit...plus you can have hundreds of I/O pins to handle every aspect of the machine tool including feed-back from servo motors, interfacing with DRO, custom automated tool changers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JJDennon View Post
    Really a lot cleaner UI than some of the screensets I've seen. The major problem I see with the way Mach3 does things is the guts of the screen are bitmaps. The text is part of the bitmap, so not localizeable.

This was the best way of doing it when Mach was originally developed, but there are better options now for developing really rich UI with tools built into Windows or by using Mono on Linux.

With EMC2, it would be interesting to investigate the possibility of creating a front in C# end using Moonlight/Silverlight. Definitely something I'll be looking into at some point.
    Other than the UI's listed, Ive seen a few others that are very nice.

We are waiting to see your new UI. Get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockn-Roll View Post
    I'm a newbie to CNC and only scratching the surface of what is out there, but in my opinion the most reliable solution would be to design the controller in hardware using VHDL or Verilog then program it in an FPGA or PLD such as what you can get from FPGA and CPLD Solutions from Xilinx, Inc....then if it works well and others want one you can send it out to make an ASIC.
    All I gotta do now is learn VHDL or Verilog

Page 2 of 2 12