585,753 active members*
4,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Full enclosure vs chip guard

Just curious on which is better. I have a 770 and I am using a D688 vise, which will stick out past the from of the machine a couple of inches. The main issue is even with the Tormach guard it was not enough to keep chips/coolant from splashing everywhere. I have ordered a lot of 8020 but before I started building just wanted to see what the thoughts were. If a simple larger splash guard would be effective.

The only thing I didn't like about the stock splash guard is having to lift the Plexiglas out and store it while I changed something on the machine. Ended up getting it broke. So which ever method it will have a door that stays attached.

Enclosure

I made a front and sides for my 1100, made sliding doors using drawer slides from The Home Depot, works really good, need to add a front screen/keyboard unit that I can swing in and out. Kind of like what the big boys have. There's a post here I did with pics. Probably change some minor things if I ever redid it. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...re_thread.html
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

I'd say a full enclosure is definitely the way togo, you'd have some much more room for clamping, not to mention the splashing, flying objects, etc.. As soon as I get a little free time I'm going to make a full or half style enclosure. Summer time list is growing

Second the full enclosure....

I made mine for my RF45CNC and it is wonderful to be able to close the doors and watch it eat from the safety of no flying chips, coolant, or whatever else might come flying out of the machine. It does make cleanup a little more difficult because you need to be able to get to all the corners of the machines enclosure without problems. That is why I made my enclosure design in two larger pieces. The base with the tray and drains etc. and the upper clear plastic section that is see thru from all sides and is removeable with the quick unscrewing of a couple screws. Then I get my wife to help me remove it and set it on the floor in front of the machine. I can get to the whole machine for service and cleaning then easier. I usually wind up taking it off about once a month for a thorough cleaning. Other times I just reach where I can with my spray bottle of WD40 and my wet-or-dry vac. Has been working well for me for awhile now. It also cuts down on some of the noise but it does have an open ceiling in it. I guess it just redirects the sound but either way it makes it quieter when the machine is running. Peace

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I made a front and sides for my 1100, made sliding doors using drawer slides from The Home Depot, works really good, need to add a front screen/keyboard unit that I can swing in and out. Kind of like what the big boys have. There's a post here I did with pics. Probably change some minor things if I ever redid it. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...re_thread.html
    I saw that link. I bought enough material (minus the acrylic) to be about twice that high. The whole front if I do it, would fold up to the left accordian style.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    I'd say a full enclosure is definitely the way togo, you'd have some much more room for clamping, not to mention the splashing, flying objects, etc.. As soon as I get a little free time I'm going to make a full or half style enclosure. Summer time list is growing

yea, I found out with this new vise and face mill, it was throwing stuff out the back left an right For now it may just be the front with doors and some plastic hanging down in the back.

Just something about having more material between me and the workpiece seems safer.

Use a polycarb not acrylic. Acrylic shatters pretty easy (well depending on thickness too) and polycarb scratches pretty easy. It's a trade off, but I think you'd be better off with polycarb.

Pete where's the pics ?

Twocik....

Hey man I do not have any pics that are readily available but I will try to take some. In the mean time you can check out my youtube channel where you can see a lot of videos of the machine and the enclosure and other stuff... peace

YouTube - PetefromTn's Channel

Pete

PS.. Apologize in advance for the video quality, I am working on it....

Full enclosure is the way to go. I did an elcheapo one with 2x4s and 2mil ploy and a couple Walmart shower curtains. No regrets....best modification I have made and it only cost about eighty bucks. I am glad that I did not build a hard wall enclosure because mine is a snap to modify and I can still fit long material lengths on the bed. If I need to work on the mill it is easy to pull down the poly and staple it back up. I no longer use my extended guards because they just are not needed.

double post.

Kev,

I also like this approach because, as you say, it does not interfere with any access to the table or the cabinet for setup, pulldown, cleaning and mod-ing the cabinet. The only downside is appearance... but I guess I don't look out of place in front of it.

Regarding the E-stop, I already have the remote button securely fixed beside my keyboard. I don't have to look for it or move to get it, just fling the hand there. Iv'e kept my screen on the lefthand side (series 1) I found the Estop on the cabinet was almost useless, when it's URGENT and your are trying not to fixate on the imminent disaster and to leap to the cabinet. One of my favourite mods.

Drew Keyes installed shower curtains in 2009. (Are you still using them Drew?) Here's the link. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormac...81732/pic/list

Any photos of yours Kev?

By the way, have you tasted your coolant yet?
    Bevin

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Kev,

I also like this approach because, as you say, it does not interfere with any access to the table or the cabinet for setup, pulldown, cleaning and mod-ing the cabinet. The only downside is appearance... but I guess I don't look out of place in front of it.

Regarding the E-stop, I already have the remote button securely fixed beside my keyboard. I don't have to look for it or move to get it, just fling the hand there. Iv'e kept my screen on the lefthand side (series 1) I found the Estop on the cabinet was almost useless, when it's URGENT and your are trying not to fixate on the imminent disaster and to leap to the cabinet. One of my favourite mods.

Drew Keyes installed shower curtains in 2009. (Are you still using them Drew?) Here's the link. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormac...81732/pic/list

Any photos of yours Kev?

By the way, have you tasted your coolant yet?
    Bevin
    I took a photo and posted it somewhere. I call it my Jed Clampett enclosure because it isn't going to win any beauty contest. It is cheap, easy and functional and I could care less what it looks like.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...enclosure.html

I have an external e-stop too and I agree that it is pretty much a necessary modification. Necessary to me means that doing it is cheaper than not doing it. The power draw-bar is another high-value upgrade. Once you have it you don't know why you didn't do it earlier.

I don't drink coolant but I had plenty of it splattered on my computer and about the shop floor before doing the enclosure. Now I get some drips in front occasionally when I'm opening/closing the shower curtains but nothing compared to what I had with just the guards in place.

2 Enclosures better than 1

As each has its benifits I decided to do both. While my machine is a Novakon NM-200 the concept is the same.

Outer enclosure of 1" PVC pipe, shower curtain hangers and thick clear poly.
    This will ensure coolant & chips stay constrained.

While this works well, some have encountered coolant shortage problems, caused by the inability to return the coolant quickly to the container.
    Additionally the mess is spread far and wide.

After using this for a while I decided to design a table top enclosure capable of accomadating 1 or 2 vises, various depths of cut and work positioning.

See attached pictures. The front, slides up and is composed of 1 or two pieces depending on vise(s) location.
    The back allows for a 2" piece to be removed for really close to the vise operations. There are also small removeable hunks to allow access the "Edge" setup tool attached to the vise.

Finally the whole contraption is attached to the table with ceramic magnets.
    Funky but effective. If you crash into the table in theory it should simply move away. If your work piece is too big the whole assembly can be quickly removed.

Expected benifits have been achieved. Most of the coolant is contained & quickly returned to the tank. The majority of the chips are also contained, making cleanup faster & easier.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mar 18 Fromt Encl.jpg   Mar 18 Rear View Encl.jpg   Mar 18 RS Front Encl.jpg   Mar 18 RS Encl.jpg  

P-NM-200 Shower Curtain Feb.16.11.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by John Gamble View Post
    As each has its benifits I decided to do both. While my machine is a Novakon NM-200 the concept is the same.

Outer enclosure of 1" PVC pipe, shower curtain hangers and thick clear poly.
    This will ensure coolant & chips stay constrained.

While this works well, some have encountered coolant shortage problems, caused by the inability to return the coolant quickly to the container.
    Additionally the mess is spread far and wide.

After using this for a while I decided to design a table top enclosure capable of accomadating 1 or 2 vises, various depths of cut and work positioning.

See attached pictures. The front, slides up and is composed of 1 or two pieces depending on vise(s) location.
    The back allows for a 2" piece to be removed for really close to the vise operations. There are also small removeable hunks to allow access the "Edge" setup tool attached to the vise.

Finally the whole contraption is attached to the table with ceramic magnets.
    Funky but effective. If you crash into the table in theory it should simply move away. If your work piece is too big the whole assembly can be quickly removed.

Expected benifits have been achieved. Most of the coolant is contained & quickly returned to the tank. The majority of the chips are also contained, making cleanup faster & easier.

John
    Looks good. But my last machining I was throwing stuff higher than your curtains I think I have some plastic now but definitely want something more permanent up front.

When I was about 21 I worked as a mechanic, the owner of a nearby shop we worked with was killed when he was grinding a part on a table top grinder. The disc broke and hit him in the temple. Ever since I have been overly cautious about having something solid between me and object revolving at high speeds. Probably the reason I don't use my lathe as much as it is and at low speed when I do..

Valid Point.
    Sounds like you want a large chunk of polycarbonate for the front.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Gamble View Post
    Valid Point.
    Sounds like you want a large chunk of polycarbonate for the front.

John
    yes, that was pretty much the plan since I ordered 8020. The main difference is whether to make it like your smaller one on across the front. I am leaning more towards across the front with a large bi-folding door.

I am sure the materials for the panels is not going to be cheap, would be 1/4IN thick to slide in the 8020.

Fund the thread I was looking for, could not remember where I saw it a while back. But think I am going down this route http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...enclosure.html

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    yes, that was pretty much the plan since I ordered 8020. The main difference is whether to make it like your smaller one on across the front. I am leaning more towards across the front with a large bi-folding door.

I am sure the materials for the panels is not going to be cheap, would be 1/4IN thick to slide in the 8020.

Fund the thread I was looking for, could not remember where I saw it a while back. But think I am going down this route http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...enclosure.html
    I'm glad you found that post. That is what I want to do as well. I have chips all over the place. Much messier than I expected. I just have to save up the required limbs now....

Quote Originally Posted by dbrija View Post
    Much messier than I expected.
    I like Messier 31 my self Google Image Result for http://www.stargazing.net/david/qsi/jpg/M31_35PS13s800c.jpg

Curtain

I am seriously considering adding a "shower curtain" to mine, I pour the coolant to it when I mill and I need something more than what I have made. I think just one accross the front will help huge. I get a few leaks on the edges of the doors. I don't have the time to rebuild the guard as most of my time is spent building product to sell and not stuff for the mill.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    I am seriously considering adding a "shower curtain" to mine, I pour the coolant to it when I mill and I need something more than what I have made. I think just one accross the front will help huge. I get a few leaks on the edges of the doors. I don't have the time to rebuild the guard as most of my time is spent building product to sell and not stuff for the mill.
    Everybody has their preferences, but I would rather my shop look a little more professional when/if people drop by, I am not in business to sell things at the moment (although I will take donations). The 8020 framing takes absolutely no more time to build than building a frame for some type curtain and I think is more sturdy and durable. I would have had my frame built this weekend, if only someone had order the correct length screws!

Page 1 of 3 123