585,715 active members*
3,990 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 18t-b main board plug in cards

Fanuc 18t-b main board plug in cards

I am installing an old 18tb on a vtl. It was previously a 4 axes and now is a two axes. The problem is that it will not jog even though every interlock and signal is satisfied. Fanuc cannot illuminate what the problem is, so, I found out myself. It seems that the small cards that populate the main board have something to do with it. Unfortunately, I had erased the system software and had to load a new one from a two axis system. (remember it started as a 4 axes). Everything seems to work fine except that it will not jog. It will however move in a program. Anyone have experience with this. I am wondering if there is a card that specifically deals with the servo software? I found the cards that interface the CRT and MDI panel. I found the PMC card. I am wondering if the FSRM card might be the servo system. Any ideas? Thanks.(chair)http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images...withstupid.gif

If you can move the axes in a program, it is not a failure of any of the boards.

I suggest checking the following:

1. Confirm that you have a jog feedrate in par 1423
    2. jog override signals (G010 - G011) are not all zeros or all 1's.
    3. Manual Rapid RT signal (G19.7) = 0
    4. par 1402.4 = 0 (jog synchronized with spindle rotation)

Well, I would check what boards you have on your system per the FANUC 18manual(s)..

The documentation will tell you which card(s) go on which board(s).

The 18 is very similar to a 16 which I have been building for 6 months.

Greg

18tb troubles

I have checked these parameters,signals and more. I was able to take the From card from another controller and put it in the ailing controller and was able to jog. Things were looking up when Murphy's Law took effect. I was switching card and for some reason an SRAM error occurred on power up. So I loaded the system back to the 18 from the SRAM PCMCIA card I just received so I could save the system from the good 18tb. I did not set the memory protect switch and I think the system on the SRAM was corrupted and I loaded corrupt data to both F-Rom cards and now I have no working system. When I check the software, all of the software labels appear on the screen so I know what I need, but, for some reason, when I load the saved system, I get sRAM errors. I reinitialized the FROM, but, this too was in vain. Help, please!!http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/bs1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by gbowne1 View Post
    Well, I would check what boards you have on your system per the FANUC 18manual(s)..

The documentation will tell you which card(s) go on which board(s).

The 18 is very similar to a 16 which I have been building for 6 months.

Greg
    Do you know what manual number that would be?

The manual numbers I am looking at all start with B- or GFZ- depending on which version and have the numbers 6244x or 6245x.. you'll be looking for the maintenance manual, and or the connection manual(s).

But I think you will need the GFZ-62445E or B-62445E Maintenance manual. I have revision /03 from January 1995.

I have all of the 16 and 18 manuals in PDF if you need them. I also have more than one revision of some of them.

The FANUC iDocs CD has them but the manuals are scattered all over the internet on various links.. so I built a small repository of the PDF manuals. Which I often wished that FANUC had on their site for download.

The manuals are very helpful in telling which module numbers go where on the boards.

Some of the individual boards and modules have description manuals for which you can only get from FANUC.

Greg

a working system now

Quote Originally Posted by gbowne1 View Post
    The manual numbers I am looking at all start with B- or GFZ- depending on which version and have the numbers 6244x or 6245x.. you'll be looking for the maintenance manual, and or the connection manual(s).

But I think you will need the GFZ-62445E or B-62445E Maintenance manual. I have revision /03 from January 1995.

I have all of the 16 and 18 manuals in PDF if you need them. I also have more than one revision of some of them.

The FANUC iDocs CD has them but the manuals are scattered all over the internet on various links.. so I built a small repository of the PDF manuals. Which I often wished that FANUC had on their site for download.

The manuals are very helpful in telling which module numbers go where on the boards.

Some of the individual boards and modules have description manuals for which you can only get from FANUC.

Greg
    Thanks. I found the manual, verified the plug in boards and found the problem I was having with SRAM parity error was due to not clearing the SRAM before boot load. Once I did this, the system loaded correctly and all that was needed was the parameter file and the pmc and now I have a working system. Once again, thanks for the info and your excellent counsel.:banana:

Yeah, always a good idea to verify that everyting is indeed installed where it needs to be. Glad that I could help. The control won't work properly if the wrong modules are inserted in the wrong places on the cards.

I can help you with certain editions of the various modules for the cards.

I just recently started getting the last of the boards configured. It's taken some time because the cards and parts are not cheap on eBay.

I like that the 16 and 18 have similar parts. I don't have the 18.. mine is a 16 but they share some of the same parts.

Yeah your SRAM needs to be cleared when you reinitialize the control.

Now that you have me interested, what servos and amplifiers do you have? Also tell me about your machine I/O. Part numbers and model numbers.. etc. I would be very interested in knowing what the people who built your machine used.

Greg

The machine is an OM VTL that started life with a 6TB controller. My client wanted to save money on a retrofit, as he is a machinery dealer, and put this 18T-b controller on the machine. We are using an Alpha 30/1200 servo for the X axis and an Alpha 40/2000 for the Z axis with the old C series amplifiers. The I/O is a Model A-I/O. The table drive is a Quantum III (new) for a 70 hp DC motor. It is a regen drive with a FMX5 field regulator, which will work as a regulator with almost any DC drive. Pretty easy to set up. As a retrofitter, this was probably a mistake to go backwards and use an old controller and drives, but, if it were my machine and I had some time, the Fanuc 18T was cheap to purchase on Ebay and is a nice controller. Not so sure about the C series drive, although there are a lot of these geriatric drives available. I had trouble communicating with the 18 prior to getting my latest version of FAPT ladder, which, amazingly works on my Vista/Toshiba computer. Communication was easily achieved and worked with no glitches. Prior to this latest version, I needed my old XP/Toshiba system and communication problems were abundant. Although, this ap called Dosbox worked really well on for some systems. Would I do this again? Probably, although I would rather work on the new stuff as I like moving forward, but, there is a lot of value in using some of the surplus equipment that is available. Anyway, I have always loved doing this stuff. Thanks, again and I will keep an eye on this forum as I hope to repay the favor some day.:cheers:

Glad to hear that the ladder went well. I am also glad that I could help you. I'm still learning this stuff.

I have the Model A I/O on my 16M Model B and am also working on the I/O for my 18i.

I like working with the older controls. They are well built and solid.. and can live for years beyond the machine. I've taken older controls and put them on new machines. eBay is a great place for parts for older FANUC's, and some newer ones.

Ok so you have the "C" amplifiers and the A06B-0158 and the A06B-0151 servo. So you used the A06B-6090 amp or the A06B-6066? Do you remember which -Hxxx part number servos you used?

I have found that the 16/18 can be a bit sluggish to communicate with especially if you use a network to DNC over ethernet.

If you ever need PDF manuals for a FANUC system I have them (or can get them).

Did you keep the 6T? I need parts for a 6 system.

I'm working on my 16's I/O Model A.. Neat little modules on the yellow backplane. Send me some pics if you can.

Greg