584,316 active members*
6,482 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Is anyone here using 4th and 5th axis programming in SprutCAM?

Is anyone here using 4th and 5th axis programming in SprutCAM?

I am currently using BobCAD for all my CAM needs, and I am very happy with it. It does EVERYTHING I want it to do, and regardless of what other people post about it, it works great. I don't want this thread to become a discussion about BobCAD.

HOWEVER, BobCAD does NOT support simultaneous 4th and 5th axis machining. I am interested in these capabilities, so that has me looking for a new CAM package. I have seen many videos from SprutCAM, and some other posters that seem very skilled in SprutCAM, making 4th and 5th axis programs.

Is anyone HERE using these features?

Any and all feedback on the ease of use, capability, etc. of SprutCAM is welcome.

Hi,
    I've done quite a bit of continuous 4th axis on several models that I have made with my Tormach. This includes three camshafts as well as several parts for more serious projects where workholding/set-up would have been difficult with 3-d only. In my experience, Sprutcam7 does actually make continuous 4 axis parts. I don't have the equipment, expertise, or probably even enough mental dexterity to speak about 5 axis though. - Terry

Great feedback. Thank-you. Could you possibly post some pictures of the parts you have made using the 4th axis programming?

Here are a few continuous 4th axis parts that I recently made on the Tormach for a model engine I am building in my spare time. The first one is a set of camshaft lobe pairs. I normally would have milled the entire camshaft with its four lobes as a single part, but the planset called for a roller bearing between the lobes; and so I machined the lobes and then pressed/Loctited the lobe pairs on either side of the bearing. The second photo shows the rocker arm supports just as they cames off the 4th axis after the machining was completed. It is an example of solving an otherwise difficult workholding problem. - Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P57- Completed Cam lobes.JPG   P48- Rocker arm supports ready for parting.JPG