584,333 active members*
6,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Is anyone here using 4th and 5th axis programming in SprutCAM?

Is anyone here using 4th and 5th axis programming in SprutCAM?

I am currently using BobCAD for all my CAM needs, and I am very happy with it. It does EVERYTHING I want it to do, and regardless of what other people post about it, it works great. I don't want this thread to become a discussion about BobCAD.

HOWEVER, BobCAD does NOT support simultaneous 4th and 5th axis machining. I am interested in these capabilities, so that has me looking for a new CAM package. I have seen many videos from SprutCAM, and some other posters that seem very skilled in SprutCAM, making 4th and 5th axis programs.

Is anyone HERE using these features?

Any and all feedback on the ease of use, capability, etc. of SprutCAM is welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    I am currently using BobCAD for all my CAM needs, and I am very happy with it. It does EVERYTHING I want it to do, and regardless of what other people post about it, it works great. I don't want this thread to become a discussion about BobCAD.

HOWEVER, BobCAD does NOT support simultaneous 4th and 5th axis machining. I am interested in these capabilities, so that has me looking for a new CAM package. I have seen many videos from SprutCAM, and some other posters that seem very skilled in SprutCAM, making 4th and 5th axis programs.

Is anyone HERE using these features?

Any and all feedback on the ease of use, capability, etc. of SprutCAM is welcome.
    I have played a bit with 4th axis, and it works pretty well. Others will have more useful feedback.

I would highly recommend going to sprutcam.com and grab the latest release, and test drive it for the 30 day trial period. It is fully functional, and the examples that it comes with are decent as well.

I will certainly get the demo, just need to get some contiguous time at home so I have time to learn it!

Thanks for the feedback, though.

I pretty much do everything using my 4th axis and sprut works pretty easily.

compunerdy,

Just curious... what sorts of things have you used your 4th axis to do?

Everything I do is with cylinders. I have done knurling, engraving, cutouts, etc.. Sprutcam handles the 4th axis really easy and even has copying so if you have a single cutout you can easily duplicate that around the cylinder without doing all the coutouts in CAD.