584,327 active members*
6,514 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Question about stand/tray coating

Question about stand/tray coating

Hello,

I see a lot of posts about the chip trays peeling paint and rusting and the stands leaking. Has anyone ever tried some of the truck bed liner that you can buy and brush on? The stuff seems pretty tough and bonds to anything(rusty old pickup beds).

Just a thought, might be worth a shot to try.

Thanks

Very interesting, looks to have a polyurethane base. It would be very cool if this stuff works. Maybe I'll give this a shot once I have some free time. Just need to figure out if this would contaminate the coolant.

Advance Auto Parts: BED ARMOR™ DIY Truck Bed Liner with Kevlar® by Duplicolor - Part BAK2010

Might even help keep chips out of the trap and pump too since it's somewhat textured. I searched and couldn't find anything but it seems like a good idea to seal up the catch trays and base from the coolant.

I would think..

I would think that since it is basically a rubbery textured product chips would imbed themselves into the material making cleaning the machine a real pain.. I would not recommend this and If I remember correctly HOSS of the benchtop forum did this and commented that he had these issues I am referring to. I have not tried it myself but I made my own enclosure and used an epoxy enamel paint and so far so good... peace

Pete

I'd be inclined to change coolant and/or way lubricant before using brush on truck bed liner.

Other than wear, I've had no trouble with the paint on my Tormach mill, even though I use flood coolant and am not very meticulous about cleanup.

Mike

I would think a texured coating would be the last thing one would want. Texured means lots more surface area and a PITA to clean. IMO smooth baked enamel finish would be best. Dito what Mike H. said. I have had no problems with paint other than wear.

Don

I built a wood stand. I glassed it then covered with an epoxy paint. Works for me.

I would think that powder coating would work pretty good, it's a plastic type of coating.
    BlueFin CNC LLC
    Southern Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post
    I would think that powder coating would work pretty good, it's a plastic type of coating.
    I believe powder coating is what's on my Kurt vise. Very durable. If my Tormach was coated like the Kurt I be very happy.

BTW Here is a picture from Southern California of my driveway on the first day of spring 2011 http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...2011blower.jpg

Don

metal powder coating

Metal Powder coating is the youngest of the surface finishing techniques in common use today.It is the technique of applying dry paint to a part.The powdered paint may be applied by either of two techniques.First one is the item is lowered into a fluidised bed of the powder and other is the powdered paint is electrostatically charged and sprayed onto the part.

powder coating

Powder coat would be the way to go. Not easily done at home though, which I guess is what I was aiming for mainly.