585,753 active members*
4,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheap E-stop switch...

Quick demo of what I plan on using for an E-Stop switch.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfx7xjljQbc"]YouTube - Sub $10 CNC mill E-Stop saftey switch[/nomedia]

Comments encouraged.:stickpoke

Although you probably aren't required to comply with whatever the applicable rules are, that's not a very safe estop switch, in my opinion.

You really need a big knob you can hit with either hand, or an arm, knee or elbow, and from any direction.

Also, the rules generally require that you either pull or turn and pull the estop to resume normal operations, whereas your switch could be bumped and brought right back out of estop.

If you do decide to use this, then use it to break the coil power to a relay, but run the coil power through a set of points on the relay, so that an additional push button is required to energize the coil initially, as well as after an estop operation.

If you look around, I'm sure you can find a good, serviceable estop switch at one of the salvage or surplus places for not much more money.

Tom

There are plenty of sub-$10 "real" E-switches around. Why use something less safe?
    e.g. from CNC4U: CNC4PC
    Joe in Aus

Safety switch

If you really want to go cheap, cheap, you could use a $0.86 light switch, but good luck finding the little toggle handle in a moment of panic. Best to spend the bucks and get a real safety switch with a red mushroom head.

When I hit my first low cost e-switch it often seperated from the top and landed on the floor. I bought a used industrial model off ebay and problem solved. This switch needs to be reliable.

While not seen in the video, there is the dial for the dimmer switch. I'll paint it red and mount it to a metal box on the bench. The idea being I can slap it real quick to stop the "oh f#*k" issues that might occur.

The bigger safety feature I need to do, IMHO, is installing limit switches which I don't have a real game plan for at this time.

I agree with the others, I bought my estop switches for $9 at a surplus store, I have 2 on my machine. I cant tell you how important it is to have a easy to reach reliable and safe estop switch.. I had several times where i had to frantically run to hit the switch to avoid the machine destroying itself or a part.

Use a real Estop switch, there is no reason not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Phife View Post
    I had several times where i had to frantically run to hit the switch to avoid the machine destroying itself or a part.

Use a real Estop switch, there is no reason not to.
    This is why it is always called the hardest switch to find on the panel!
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Just an FYI, I bought my E-stop seen in these pics for $8, and that included shipping: Gecko G540 Bench Test with E-Stop LINK

It's from Ebay seller named tree_kicker, Ebay seller tree_kicker LINK