585,942 active members*
3,204 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Using latest torch on older model plasma cutter

Using latest torch on older model plasma cutter

Does anyone know if the cutting torches from say a Hypertherm 65 could be used on a Powermax 1250.

I've heard the new nozzle technology gives a more focussed plasma jet, and gives better cut quality. Would certainly beat buying the whole unit.

Thanks,

Keith.

In January Hypertherm announced the Duramax HRT (hand torch) and MRT (machine torch) upgrade kits for Powermax1000 and Powermax1250 systems. These torch upgrades allow for a plug and play upgrade to the same torches that are used on the Powermax65 and 85. You get better cut quality, faster cut speeds, thicker cut capability as well as longer consumable life. The performance is not exactly the same as the new Powermax65 and 85 systems as the 1000 and 1250 power supplies have lowe duty cycles and are 5 amps lower output....but still, the new torches are a great improvement with their conical flow technology.

Here is a link to the information on the Hypertherm website. These torches are in stock and can be purchased from your local distributor. You can find your local distributor on the Sponsored Listings site by clicking on the where to buy tab.

Link: Duramax HRT and MRT Upgrade Torches | Hypertherm

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    Does anyone know if the cutting torches from say a Hypertherm 65 could be used on a Powermax 1250.

I've heard the new nozzle technology gives a more focussed plasma jet, and gives better cut quality. Would certainly beat buying the whole unit.

Thanks,

Keith.

Thanks Jim that's great to know.

My 1250 has had very little use so far. The learning curve to getting a completed plasma table built plus learning various softwares was a lot longer than anticipated then when everything comes together the next model Hypertherm is out. Well I don't have a machine torch yet so I'm not really buying anything twice.

So apart from the 1250 having 5 amps less output and having a smaller duty cycle, is that about it or does the 65/85 power supplies have superior current/voltage "quality" in any way.

I suppose in a sense the faster cutting of the Duramax torch may compensate to some extent for the reduced duty cycle of my 1250. I'll get more cut in the same amount of time.

Thanks,

Keith.

There really is no difference in the DC power quality between a Powermax65/85 and the older 1250. The technology advancements are in the torch in this case...the new Duramax torch went through over 2 years of design, development and testing....and it is a superior torch as compared to the original torch used on the 1000, the 1250 and the 1650 systems from Hypertherm.

Jim