585,687 active members*
4,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with Boss 5 spindle speed control

I'm doing a conversion on a well kept boss 5 series 1. I'm going to drive the spindle from a VFD. The mill came in working condition.

1) Can I just leave the spindle speed air solenoids disconnected? I see three 24V solenoids that appear to run the air motor and piston for changing speeds. If I'm using a VFD, what is the best "default" position? Is there a description anywhere that describes how these speed controls work? It seems easier to set a default speed and use the VFD for real control. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the best way to use the existing speed control is.

2) What voltage does the way oiler need, 120 or 240VAC?

3) Is the Bjiur coolmist system worth keeping around? Anyone have opinions on them?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckmeat View Post
    I'm doing a conversion on a well kept boss 5 series 1. I'm going to drive the spindle from a VFD. The mill came in working condition.

1) Can I just leave the spindle speed air solenoids disconnected? I see three 24V solenoids that appear to run the air motor and piston for changing speeds. If I'm using a VFD, what is the best "default" position? Is there a description anywhere that describes how these speed controls work? It seems easier to set a default speed and use the VFD for real control. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what the best way to use the existing speed control is.

2) What voltage does the way oiler need, 120 or 240VAC?

3) Is the Bjiur coolmist system worth keeping around? Anyone have opinions on them?

Thanks in advance!
    1. I'd connect them up. There are only two solenoids for the speed control, plus one for the brake. You will need the brake when changing tools, but it has an auto and manual selector switch. Don't yet understand why there is an automatic setting, and when it is operated.

Problem is that the spindle motors on the Series I are most likely not "inverter rated". Problem is that when you want to slow the spindle way down with the VFD, you need (generally) more horsepower from the spindle motor, yet you have much less cooling from the internal fan on the spindle motor. So it's probably better to use the variable speed pulley system to get down to slow speeds, and use the VFD to get higher speeds.

Several people removed the back gear completely and run a fixed belt ratio.

2. My way oiler was a Bijur, and I believe that it will run on either, but am not certain. My way oiler was shot, replaced it with a very similar oiler made in Taiwan, for under $200. The Bijur cost more than my house.

You do need to check and make sure all the lube metering units are actually working. If the mill has sat for any length of time, the way oil turns to thick gum and plugs the metering unit. On my mill, of 32 metering units, 31 were plugged up. YMMV

3. Have no experience (yet) with the coolmist system, but my previous owner seemed to like it. Have no idea if it's a Bijur or not.

Tom

I have a Boss 5. The Bijur oiler on mine runs off of 120V, If I recall correctly there was a label on the unit which gave the Voltage. The Bijur is basically a timer with a cam that pumps about once every 15 minutes of spindle on time.

My varispeed is set at about 2800 rpm, and the VFD is currently controlled by a potentiometer. With the varispeed head, the spindle must be running before you can change speeds, so any speed change relays should be enabled only when the the VFD is actively running the spindle motor.

On the subject of the spindle brake, it should be the inverse of the speed change relay, that is it should only be active when the spindle is off. With no power to the brake solenoid and air applied, the default condition for the brake is ON.

As always, take any information obtained via the internet with a grain of salt. Just because my machine was set up this way doesn't mean yours will be. I do have a set of manuals for the Boss 5, let me know if you need a specific page scanned.

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by panchula View Post
    I have a Boss 5. The Bijur oiler on mine runs off of 120V, If I recall correctly there was a label on the unit which gave the Voltage. The Bijur is basically a timer with a cam that pumps about once every 15 minutes of spindle on time.

My varispeed is set at about 2800 rpm, and the VFD is currently controlled by a potentiometer. With the varispeed head, the spindle must be running before you can change speeds, so any speed change relays should be enabled only when the the VFD is actively running the spindle motor.

On the subject of the spindle brake, it should be the inverse of the speed change relay, that is it should only be active when the spindle is off. With no power to the brake solenoid and air applied, the default condition for the brake is ON.

As always, take any information obtained via the internet with a grain of salt. Just because my machine was set up this way doesn't mean yours will be. I do have a set of manuals for the Boss 5, let me know if you need a specific page scanned.

-Mike
    Thanks! My recent progress has mirrored yours.

I have the brake and speed controls figured out, and as you pointed out, +24V to disable the brake. Also, it appears that that line is grounded when the switch is set to 'auto' I had to put a relay in there to isolate my brake line from a 24V driver I'm using.

I'll post updates, I have cleaned up and built all my electronics into the smaller of the two cabinets. I'm using EMC2 with the Mesa Electronics FPGA, but still waiting on a mesa 7i64 to complete everything (using a generic 8 opto input board for now for Estop/limits).

Oiler is 120V, but the motor diagram indicated you could use 240V using an alternate wiring.