585,728 active members*
4,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > J310 spindle to VFD help needed

J310 spindle to VFD help needed

Hi All,
    I have retrofitted my J310 with a Machmotion control kit which utilizes a mitsubishi VFD to convert the single phase input into three phase and control spindle speed through the control. Does anyone know if there is something special about the spindle motor that Tree used on this machine? It does not like what VFD is putting out. I can run the Tree Spindle motor off three phase and it works, I can run a regular Baldor motor off the VFD and it works fine. The tech support guy said there was something different about Trees but we have not been able to figure it out. Where they 50 hrz? Would that change anything? The motor has no info plate on it so I can't tell jack from that. I am not an electrical engineer, I just understand the basics but I am hoping this can be resolved with just a parameter change.

Thanks!

I am far from being an expert but the motors are not 50Hz... I use a Control Techniques VFD because of the nightmares that a friend had with Hitachi drives - he never got the motor to work with it.
    I run my motor at 200Hz. I am in the process of trying to set it up for closed loop vector to get the torque that is missing at the low end when running open loop.
    There are a few brands of motors that were used - most seem to be Yaskawa, but mine is a General Numerics (Fanuc) When I spoke to the service people about what kind of drive I could use they told me that only a Fanuc would work...BS.
    What you have is a three phase motor so you will need to supply three phase power, and you will need to set up the parameters in the VFD to suit. In my case I supply 3 phase power to the VFD

Here is what is on my nameplate, of coarse you will most likely have a different motor...but it may help for reference
    FANUC- General Numeric Motor
    2.2 KW continuous 3.7KW 15 minutes
    11amp Continuous 15 amp - 15 minutes
    1500-8000 RPM
    3 phase
    4 pole
    Volts 200
    Type A06B-1002-B600 #2000
    Encoder lines 1024

For the CT Emerson VFD there are about 20 parameters that need to be set. Many are inputs about the motor that would come from the nameplate but others will depend on factors like if you have a braking resistor, settings for ramp acceleration and deceleration. The frequency matters and mine is set to 200. Talking with support staff for your particular VFD should be the best way to start. They should be able to supply you with a generic set of parameters to get you started. But learning as much about the motor as you can should help along with getting a list of all the parameters

Bill

I have bought five Mitsubishi VFDs (so far) for single to three-phase conversion and have no trouble with them. I've got one running using the on-off buttons and rotary speed on the VFD itself, another using remote control with simple switches, and one with computer control via Mach3 etc. I've run 50Hz and 60Hz motors off them.

So perhaps your motor is an odd one. Have you verified the controller works by hooking up another motor to it?

On my VFDs there are two current limiting parameters, and I had trouble on one set-up where only one of them was set to match the motor - the motor would start and immediately stop.

New Development, I'm dumb. J/K- the cord going up to the motor from the enclosure was old and the inner insulation was cracking. Must have been allowing some voltage leak across phases. Messed with it a little and it works fine now.