584,808 active members*
5,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > It's alive! Video of first start to finish part

It's alive! Video of first start to finish part

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbAF7oGKt44&hd=1"]YouTube - CNC machining a sign for my niece and nephew[/nomedia]

I've cut plenty of things on my machine, but this is the first time I've used the whole tool chain from start to finish. I've got almost a year in the machine at this point and still a few months to go before I call it done (even though I'm sure it will always be a work in progress as I want to add more stuff).

I've got a dust collection system but I took it off for this video. My sister wanted me to make a video explaining the really high level concepts so she could show her friends. That's why I did the intro part with the simulation and the screen shot of the gcode.

I welcome any comments or suggestions. I am still new to CAM and machining in general so if you see something I could improve I would definitely appreciate the advice.

Vary nice job on the finer details of the router.

I see the little one has a Jeep. To keep my two boys interested longer I sped then up and added new motors.

This is a place with lots of info on Power Wheels mods. I did 24V on both the quad and the Polaris but I just can't keep the Polaris running. I go through motors in hours and gearboxes in days.

ModifiedPowerWheels.com • Index page

Have fun.

It's a shame that there was paint on the nice wood. Great machine though, looks very well built!:devious:

What CAM program are you using, I like the preview of it cutting so you see how the program runs.

I read mastercam at the top left when i watched the video at fullscreen. A fairly inexpensive solution is CutViewer. I see it packaged with CamBam and Meshcam

Quote Originally Posted by tkubic View Post
    I read mastercam at the top left when i watched the video at fullscreen. A fairly inexpensive solution is CutViewer. I see it packaged with CamBam and Meshcam
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Lurker View Post
    thanks
    Sorry for the slow response. Yes, it is Mastercam.

You need to organize your toolbar states!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by teccboxx View Post
    You need to organize your toolbar states!!!!!
    I literally just got it and installed the program. I'm still a complete novice at this program. Do you have an example of a better layout? And no, it isn't bootlegged.

Quote Originally Posted by bandtank View Post
    And no, it isn't bootlegged.
    LOL, the best way to get started with where you are at I would simply right click on the toolbar and select a preset toolbar state. Not knowing what level your have, if it is just router I would selct router. A good basic one is 2d toolpath and design is also decent.

I have taught Mastercam for 5 years so if you ever need any help just let me know. Congrats on your first run.

Quote Originally Posted by teccboxx View Post
    LOL, the best way to get started with where you are at I would simply right click on the toolbar and select a preset toolbar state. Not knowing what level your have, if it is just router I would selct router. A good basic one is 2d toolpath and design is also decent.

I have taught Mastercam for 5 years so if you ever need any help just let me know. Congrats on your first run.
    Thanks. So far I absolutely love it, but I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of what it can do. I'm figuring most of it out by flipping through the reference guide, but it really doesn't go into a lot of detail about most settings and operations. Are there any good books you would recommend that don't cost an arm and a leg to help me get started?