585,914 active members*
3,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Trouble with V24

Need help with uninstall/re-install of Bobcad V24.

Running Windows XP, all latest updates and video drivers. The computer hung up on an un-related issue. I finally had to hard shut down the compter. After Check disc fixed all the issues Bobcad V24 will take 15 minutes at 100 CPU to get started. After that it works OK. I still have V23 loaded and it starts fine.

I've tried un-install, then re-install. No better.
    Then, I un-installed. Deleted all V24 folders and checked the registry. I found no entries for V24. Then I re-installed.

I tried to start V24 this morning, I get to the beginning of startup and it again pulls 100% cpu and takes 15 minutes to get started.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in adavance

Robert

Same

Hi Robert
    I had the same trouble...but I solved dawnloading the right version by a suggested link from BobCad help desk...

Bobcad V24 slow

Here is what I tried so far.

This machine had V22 and V23 installed. I removed V22 with unistall. Removed V23 with uninstall. Removed V24 with uninstall. Removed both predators. Removed Visual Basic and C ++.

Then, I re-installed V24 from the Disk.

After launching V24, it begins to start. Then when the spash screen should appear, most of the screen goes white. The CPU pegs at 100% usage, and I wait. Maybe 15 minutes later it's done with whatever it's doing. Then V24 works OK.

In the task manager, I can see V24 in processes, 1 instance, pulling 98% cpu load. In applications, I see two copies of V24, both with the note 'not responding'.

Do I need to do a Win XP repair? or is this Bobcad related?

It was

I had to remove fisically the BobCad folder into the registry...But You must be sure about the last version of BobCadCam...buid 169 is mine...!!
    Best regards

Still broke

The latest today was to uninstall Bobcad V24. Delete the folders (both places). Then I downloaded CCleaner and did a clean up of all broken links.

There were several Bobcad V24 broken links.

AFter everything reported repaired and cleaned, I re-booted and loaded V24 again.

Still, upon startup, there is 1 entry in taskmanager, applications. Then when Bobcad V24 gets to the splash screen, a second Bobcad V24 shows up in the task manager, applications, and they both become 'not responding'. Then the CPU is pulling 100% for a while until Bobcad finally starts. Once bobcad is running, then there is only 1 entry in the task manager and the CPU drops back down to 0 unless I am worling in Bobcad.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Robert

Update

Still having trouble.

Today I remembered I cloned the orignal hard drive onto a larger drive (couple years ago). I used the BIOS to boot from the old drive (win xp). I installed Bobcad V24 and still about 15 minutes of 100% cpu.

Next, I removed the video card and tried starting up with onboard Video. Same problem. I even test V23 and it's fine.

There are too many password protected programs to do a clean install of XP and I don't think it will fix the problem. The old original hard drive should have been the same as a clean install.

I'm thinking something on the Motherboard was overheating to cause the original problems. I cleaned and it has been stable. Maybe I need to swap out the MOBO if I can find one really close to this one so I don't have to do a clean install.

What would V24 need on the MOBO that V23 wouldn't?

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for you help.

Have you called BobCAD for support?

Solved

In case any one else has this problem, I finally solved the long startup issue.

I changed just about everything, clean installs, etc. I finally changed the CPU and Bobcad V24 starts up in about 3 seconds.

Thanks for the replies, enjoy the forum.

Robert

Right!!

I'm on the whay to do the same! I'm changing the entire pc...I don't know if I need another autorization registration for my license!

Authorization

Before you finish with the old computer, you will need to de-authorize the current install of Bobcad V24. Bobcad will want numbers from the authorization screen.

They can be fussy about giving a new authorization without being sure the old one is out.

I didn't have that problem. I cloned my hard drive before I started all this. Then put the Cloned hard drive back into the same system.

Good luck.

Robert

I had a similar issue. Turned out to be the video card drivers needed to be updated.

Glad

hi lads
    i am glad i have read this thread, i am thonking of installing bobcam,this has highlighted a few issues, that, not having a clue about registers, hard drives or computers in general, this has made me wary.....may i ask what it is your are using it on? and what version is it....std?pro?
    any help is appreciated.....btw its a kind of a toss up between bobcam/vectric and surfcam......any reccomendations on these product ?

G

I am new to cnc. I bought the bobcad v24. Not as easy to learn as I had hoped. I get more stuff turned out using D2nc.

BobCAD has very low computer requirements. I run it on everything from a Gateway netbook at 1.2 GHz, a 14 inch screen, 2 Gb memory, and a built in video card to my "power" computer with a 4.3 GHz quad core CPU, 16 GB memory, nVidia Quadro video card, and a solid state hard drive. Obviously it runs way faster on the better computer, but I can get work done on the netbook as well.

If your computer is less than 2 years old, BobCAD should run on it. It may run SLOW when calculating toolpaths, but it should run.

Many other CAM systems to have much higher computer requirements, especially the higher end ones.

Hi Blackice,

I was re-reading my posts. Does seem scary with all the problems.

Actually, the problems are not Bobcad. They are this one computer that a heat sink popped off the north bridge and caused me lots of problems.

I actually have V23 in several computers, and V24 in two. None of them give me any problems except this one computer.

Hope this eases your concerns.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by blackice View Post
    hi lads
    i am glad i have read this thread, i am thonking of installing bobcam,this has highlighted a few issues, that, not having a clue about registers, hard drives or computers in general, this has made me wary.....may i ask what it is your are using it on? and what version is it....std?pro?
    any help is appreciated.....btw its a kind of a toss up between bobcam/vectric and surfcam......any reccomendations on these product ?

G
    Dont be scared, BobCad is a great program. Sure it will be different regardless of whatever you ran before. My understanding is that all CAD/CAM programs work differently. Go to CADCAM trainer, Sorin is BC's traveling teacher and that is his site. He has some tutorial videos and a forum. Personally I like BC but dislike the sales teams tactics. I have V23 & V24. V24 is quite a nice improvement over 23 and I wasnt unhappy with 23. Btw I am only a hobbyist but I do run it on 2 different cnc mills and 1 cnc lathe soon to have the 2nd lathe up and running.

info

cheers lads for your input, it can be a bit daunting when your spending money on things your just not 100% on thier in's and out's:cheers:

New build

Well, apparantly other people have had the long delay of the white screen at startup. Build 208 is supposed to fix this.

Now my tool path ignores some surfaces and cuts right thru them. I have restored to the previous build for now.

Anyone else with surfacing problems?

I'm having trouble with slice planer. I have a 3-d model and created a surface where I want my tool to absolutely stop. The new build goes right thru it.

Robert