584,866 active members*
4,982 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Current Tormach TTS tool holders ATC compatible

Current Tormach TTS tool holders ATC compatible

Ordered some Tormach TTS shell mill holders, facemills, inserts etc. online last night. Called today to see if there was the possibility of getting the holders compatible with the new ATC, (I think they should call it the TTC - Tormach Tool Changer). The pleasant customer service person informed me that all the TTS holders sold now are the ATC type :wee:

I wanted to know the ones I ordered would work with the new ATC after seeing the video link posted by Pete here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac..._seen_yet.html

Though I don't yet have a PCNC 1100, one is in my future . So far I've been accumulating tooling with 3/4" shank for my Lagun, to make tool changes quicker when my Tormach finally arrives.

I think they started selling only ATC-compatible toolholders several months ago (around Christmas?).

The good part is the price is lower than I expected, so for us 770 users who can't use the ATC. We aren't being overly charged for the extra features needed for the ATC. Very good move on Tormachs part to provide them cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    I think they started selling only ATC-compatible toolholders several months ago (around Christmas?).
    Must have missed that. There was the original type still pictured on the Tormach site when ordering. That may change when the ATC is officially released.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    The good part is the price is lower than I expected, so for us 770 users who can't use the ATC. We aren't being overly charged for the extra features needed for the ATC. Very good move on Tormachs part to provide them cheaper.
    The lower price is great for us all. The new style should lead to additional tool changing innovations.

Maybe, but I ordered 16 of them this year (2011) and only got 1 that was ready for the ATC. When I called and asked about it they said that they do not have a record of me buying a ATC from them. I told I would be down the road and then they refered my to their trade in program.

Now I'm turning them on the lathe to make them all ATC ready. I just don't have the dimensions.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post

I am surprised... I have bought 10 this year and they are all ATC ready, but I got them in the last couple months. I don't even have a Tormach, so certainly no record of an ATC either. They must have had old stock on hand when you bought yours. I would have expected them to swap them out - did you let them know right when you received them or not until later? If they are unused, I am sure they would do an exchange for you, but if used I can see where they would go the trade-in route... Sounds like you can take care of the finish machining yourself, though...
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

I believe if they have old stock and you have no record of purchasing an ATC you get the old stock.

I used the trade in program to upgrade some of the less expensive toolholders but machined the others such as the T/C Head and collet holders. They are very hard though and dull carbide inserts quickly.

I bought most of mine in February, and all are ATC ready. that was before the ATC was even available....

I bet because I ordered from LMS I got some older stock. When I ordered direct from Tormach I got the one with the groove.

You right, each one machines a little differently. Some grooved real easy and some just rubbed real bad before they would cut.

I'm having a hard time measuring the groove depth. I'm making the groove with a 0.087" wide carbide grooving tool and making it 0.170" deep (per side).

That should be 1.500" OD on the holder and the 1.160" OD of the groove. Can anyone say for sure what it "should" be?

Richard

Richard,
    You should be good to go. The only new one I have with the groove is 1.1595 OD.

Thanks for the dimension Endo.

Richard

I don't understand all this re-machining business. When/if you buy an ATC, Tormach will exchange the old style toolholders for the new ones free of charge

Phil

It's not free of charge and that trade in offer is only if you buy an ATC from Tormach then you have I think 60 days.

They "used" to have a service to machine them for you for $8.95 each plus shipping both ways for the Z-Bot ATC. I own a lathe so why send them. It's not that critical of an item.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I don't understand all this re-machining business. When/if you buy an ATC, Tormach will exchange the old style toolholders for the new ones free of charge

Phil

Make sure you have all the dimensions exact including the z height of the groove from the face. If its off, the holder won't work with the ATC.

David

Phil
    I know Tormach has the exchange program in place, which is a good idea if you live in the lower 48 United States, if you live in the other two states or somewhere else in the world, as you and I do, it may be an advantage to be able to modify the toolholders yourself. I am sure that freight around the world would amount to a fair amount.
    I received my mill around this time last year and it came with ATC ready toolholders which is good, what is not so good is that I put in a fairly big order in the middle of this year for Toolholders and Modular Insert Tooling, expecting that it would all be ATC ready only to find on arrival that not all of it was.
    So in the event that I do buy the ATC, I am stuck with the two options listed above, when I actually should have ATC compatible tooling already.
    Will

I stand corrected.

Is the "flange" thickness the same as on the ATC compatible holders.

Phil