585,733 active members*
4,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Spindle upgrade and Power Drawbar

Spindle upgrade and Power Drawbar

Hi,

Today is going to feel like Christmas for me. I am receiving a nice order from Tormach. I bought the spindle upgrade with the fan kit and load meter and the power drawbar. Does any one has any good tips on installing these items?

Regards
    Tom

Upgrade

Congrats, I've only done the Power Draw bar, and the instructions are good, nothing tricky to worry about.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Nice! I will be doing the same in the near future though I might do mine in two steps starting with the spindle upgrade. Please post your progress with pics. Someone recently posted drive upgrade pics: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/tormac...oad_meter.html

bob

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    Congrats, I've only done the Power Draw bar, and the instructions are good, nothing tricky to worry about.
    +1. PDB install is very simple. Yours will be slightly more involved as you have an older machine and some of the pre-tapped holes won't be there, but no big deal.

Two outstanding products! The documention on the install is really solid, so I dont think you will have any trouble at all.

What seems to be helpful for me, is to go online, download, print and read the install instructions a few times and highlight areas I felt I should remember. That way, once it arrives you'll be all set for the install.

I think you will find that these upgrades will bring your mill to a completely new level. They did for me.

David

Congrats on your purchase! I have done all three on my old 3 digit machine. The install on the spindle upgrade, fan, and PDB are straightforward and simple using Tormach's clear step by step illustrated instructions. The spindle upgrade and in particular the PDB are of the best things I have done to improve productivity on my Tormach.

The UPS guy just left! Ill read everything a couple times. I need it for tomorrow so I'll start it Saturday. Last thing I guess I'll need is the ATC when its released which I hope its soon.

Thanks
    Tom

One minor tip - be careful where you put the spindle-mounted switch for the power drawbar. I put mine a little too high and it was a little inconvenient to press the top (lock) button on the switch. As others have written the instructions are very clear, both for the PDB and for the spindle upgrade kit.

I'm using the $240 "quiet" GMC compressor that Tormach sells for my PDB until I get an old Curtis up and running. The GMC really is pretty quiet, no distraction in the basement shop and you can barely hear it running right above it on the 1st floor and not at all in the rest of the house.

Mike

FYI I did a video on my recent power draw bar installation - [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqa9CdZoXmE"]YouTube - Chapter 13 Tormach PCNC - Installing the Power Draw Bar[/nomedia]
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

One thing I can advise re installing the drive upgrade is to be careful not to cross thread the holes when securing the new drive board in the cabinet. If I recall correctly, there are only a few threads engaging in the thin plate and it is very easy to force the screw. A few other installers damaged at least one of the four screw holes.

Another point is that the acceleration from zero to on-speed should be steady and have no hesitation. Mine on occasions would hesitate for a second or two at low rpm before quickly accelerating. I thought this was normal until after 9 months or so, I had a number of hang-ups when the target speed was 3000.

After the initial incident it was frequent enough for me to experiment. It only occurred when ~3000rpm (high speed range) was set. Accel would hang at ~800rpm for periods usually less than five seconds but once for 90secs. Advice from Tormach was that I needed new software to be loaded into the VFD. It is a known upgrade problem with a few owners reporting it; Tormach told me they were re-examining the need to issue a tech bulletin.

So if anyone with spindle upgrade is experiencing anything other than smooth quick acceleration, then there is the risk that eventually you will have a hang-up long enough to ruin a tool or part.
    Bevin

When I installed my Power Draw Bar I found one hole that was not treaded though. But don't let that throw you - just tap it out and continue.

After using it for a few hours I had a tool slip down while milling. Not Fun. Apparently, there is some wear-in of the PDB and you need to check the cupped washers occasionally and tighten them down for a tighter draw on the tool.

Ron Moss

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips. I did get the draw bar in and everything went pretty well. The tikka308 video was very handy. When I was doing the Spring washer preload adjustment every time I tightened it and hit release the tool holder would come out so I adjusted it and adjusted and it would still come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkertect View Post
    When I installed my Power Draw Bar I found one hole that was not treaded though. But don't let that throw you - just tap it out and continue.

After using it for a few hours I had a tool slip down while milling. Not Fun. Apparently, there is some wear-in of the PDB and you need to check the cupped washers occasionally and tighten them down for a tighter draw on the tool.

Ron Moss
    +1 on rechecking things. In pretty short order, I had to tighten the drawbar 3 full turns to get things to where the tool just releases again. I also had to add another thick washer to the end of the piston as the gap grew too wide to effectively release the tool. Now I check it by feel at every session with the first tool change.

Smile

Hi,

I did the spindle upgrade, Power draw bar, cooling fan, door latch and installed the load meter. I have a 3 digit serial code machine. I did some work with it today and WOW what a huge difference. I really couldn't be happier with the mods and the fantastic support from Tormach. They were very helpful and I'm so glad I have there equipment. Next will be the ATC when it come out!

Again thanks for all help.

Tom