584,829 active members*
5,121 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Excell-O-Mill

I have been tasked to find out what it takes and where to get the necessary parts to convert a manual Excell-O-Mill to a 3 axis CNC machine. This is not my field of expertise so I could use a lot of help.

Are you doing the retrofit yourself, buying a package, or want someone to do it all. Excell-o mills aren't very popular, and can be troublesome to get parts for. We were quoted not much more than a decent kit to buy brand new sharp 3 axis cnc with inverter spindle.

Remember, it's not just throwing a control on something, you need ballscrews and all the support equipment to do a retrofit.

Excell-O

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Are you doing the retrofit yourself, buying a package, or want someone to do it all. Excell-o mills aren't very popular, and can be troublesome to get parts for. We were quoted not much more than a decent kit to buy brand new sharp 3 axis cnc with inverter spindle.

Remember, it's not just throwing a control on something, you need ballscrews and all the support equipment to do a retrofit.
    Thank You.

My boss wants me to help him with the conversion. So far I have talked to Mach Motion about the price of their kit and this evening I looked at some used CNC machines on line and they were cheaper than the kit. If it were up to me I would buy a new machine that was designed as a CNC machine for about the same price as a kit plus my labor to help do the conversion. I am going to look at the price of some new machines and give my boss a cost analysis and my recommendation tomorrow.