585,690 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

2 axis Series I EZ Trak boot disk?

Hello, my company has just taken delivery of a 2 axis Series I EZ Trak 2 weeks ago. After reading some of the posting on this site, it would seem that there should be a boot disk that comes with the machine. Is this right and if so could somebody send me one please via e-mail to [email protected]

Is it possible to backup all the parameters to a floppy?, so that if any thing did go wrong we could reload all the parameters back in. if so how do we do this.

I also read here that you can update the operating software of the eztrak, where do you get the update from and is it easy to install.

I know this is a lot to ask and we do appreciate all of your time and advice, many thanks.

Good questions but one very important detail left out. Is this a SX or DX?
    Reason: The SX (if no one has messed with it) used a boot disk (floppy) to get the machine going. It did not have a herd drive.
    The DX had a hard drive from which it would boot. The floppy was only a back-up of the machine software and not the full back-up. There was a small matter of a set of DOS 6.20 disks.
    The only parameter file unique to easy machine was the SYS.BEZ file. This had the backlash comp values, machine travel (and pitch error comp for the ball screws on later machines). Easily copied if you are DOS literate, otherwise, there is a procedure to view them and write them down (if they exist in the first place).
    Depending on the vintage of the machine, there may be updates. They are easy to install. All you need is a disk and an email addesss without a firewall. The disks are self extracting ZIP files which firewalls do not trust.
    Will the machine boot right now? Are the CMOS correct? Are you or anyone at the facility PC/DOS literate? Do you know the version of software in the machine right now?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi George, many thanks for the reply. The ez-trak boots from a hard drive. the year of the machine is 1997-98. The machines boots fine and runs well at the moment, I was just playing safe after reading this site and noticed something was missing ie the boot disk's. The CMOS is correct. The e-mail address above will accept the Zip extension and I can grab the file from there, I just sent my self a Zip file to prove it to myself! If the file has a .EXE extension just rename it Zip and I'll change it back when I get it.
    In answer to your question about being PC/DOS literate, I can find my way around a Pc but never had that much to do with DOS it's always a good time to learn!!
    Thankyou for taking the time to answer my questions.

That vintage may be running version 5 software. There is a version 6 that is currently being shipped with new machines and a version 7 that is a beta and was never officially released. Both of these newer ones can engrave and can import DXF files (with a lot of restrictions). If you do not need these features, stay with the version 5. It has a lot less bugs.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi George, checked today and it's a DX, year comissioned 98 but built in 95?? Where do you get the updates? might be worth a look, we use alot of DXF files. Can you backup the software in the machine or have we got to get it from some where.
    Thankyou again for taking the time to answer my questions.

I am on vacation this week and have only dial-up. With your kind patience, I can send you some stuff when I get home this week-end (cable modem).

George

Hi George, .It's no problem waiting, I'm greatful you are taking the time to help.
    Hope you have a great vacation.

Lab Coordinator Pueblo Community College

Hey guys, It looks like I am in the same position as you were previously looking for a reboot disk for 1999 EZ trak machine. If you are willing to share a copy of the disk I would be super greatful!

Bill

Problems with EZ Trak DX????Y DAC Overflow????

I'm hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction since EMI has not been able to help me. My problem started with a bad power supply during an outage. After replacing the power supply I was asked to replace the AUX Bob card with a newer AXS Bob card because I was not getting encoder feedback, so I did. We then experienced the servo running away when we would issue a home command. So I was asked to purchase new software through EMI. I purchased sytem disk and boot floppies running MS DOS 6.22, the original floppy ran on a vers. 3 from Dec. 1994. Does anyone know why I would get a Y DAC Overflow alarm? I disconnect CR1 and the servos come on without running away? I need help?

A run away is different from a DAC OVERFLOW.
    Could be reversed armature wires, or reversed or open tachometer.
    Possibly a reversed encoder?
    Here is what is happening in a run away and all within a fraction of a second.
    Command goes out to drive to move in a certain direction. It does not see it move or it moves in the wrong direction. Control cannot reverse the polarity of the command. So it applies more control voltage. Things are still wrong so even more command voltage is applied. Axis is now running away.

George