585,749 active members*
3,739 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Mori Seiki Machines > Mori Seiki lathes > 1990 Mori Seiki AL2 (Fanuc 10t) - power wiring connections / voltages

1990 Mori Seiki AL2 (Fanuc 10t) - power wiring connections / voltages

I'm going to be hooking up my 1990 Mori Seiki AL2 soon, but I have concerns about the input voltages.

On the inside of the cabinet it says "input voltage - 550v/60hz" .. hmm, ok... I have 220 3phase, so a 600volt step up transformer would do the trick using the correct tap.

Now, upon further inspection I noticed that there is a small 3.5kva transformer inside the cabinet. It has a couple labels on it with different connections and taps for various input voltages from 220 volts to 550volts.

So that makes me think, hmmm... maybe I don't need an external transformer... but being that the internal one is only 3.5kva, I can only assume that it's just for the control... maybe also for the axis motors but who knows.

Anyone know more about this than me? Do I need a transformer or not?

Another confusing thing about that internal transformer is that it says something like "wire V" listed under input voltage of 220 volts, it says "8-15". Well there are terminals 1 to 20 on the thing... would I move the V wire to 8, 9, 10? I'm pulling those numbers out of my head - I didn't write down exactly what it said, but that's the gist of it.

Wish I had a manual. Thanks guys.

pld0vr,

We have a Mori AL2 with a Yasnac LX1 control.

The transformer you are looking at is for control voltages around 100 and 28 vac on the output side.
    Some of these transformers are made with internal taps that don't require any jumpers, but it sounds like yours needs to have jumpers moved around to match your incoming voltage of 220

You will still need the step-up transformer.

What manual are you looking for ??

Quote Originally Posted by handy223 View Post
    pld0vr,

We have a Mori AL2 with a Yasnac LX1 control.

The transformer you are looking at is for control voltages around 100 and 28 vac on the output side.
    Some of these transformers are made with internal taps that don't require any jumpers, but it sounds like yours needs to have jumpers moved around to match your incoming voltage of 220

You will still need the step-up transformer.

What manual are you looking for ??
    If the machine takes 220 volts why would I need a step up transformer? This has been really confusing... my electrician seems to think it takes 600volts as it's listed on the inside of the cabinet, but I just got an email from mori seiki that said it takes 240volts based on their records and my serial number. However, they listed the ship date as 1985, when the machine is a 1990. Sooo... I'm not sure if their information is accurate.

But then that internal transformer with taps on it shows a setting of 480volts. So yeah... I'm confused.

Does the manual say anything in regards to the wiring connections? I have asked mori seiki if I can buy a replacement manual, but it sounds like it will be a while to get one.

Not a good idea to run two threads on the same subject.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...ori_seiki.html
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Not a good idea to run two threads on the same subject.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/phase_...ori_seiki.html
    Al.
    Yeah, I hear you, but I thought maybe someone in the Mori Seiki section might have the manual.

If the incomming voltage is 480, there is a transformer somewhere. You REALLY need to look at the drives, and see what the input is on those. I would say 90-100% sure it's a 220 machine, but may have a built in transformer. The transformers were never in the electrical cabinet, most likely next to the hydraulic unit, or an external type. A 3.5 KVA transformer is most likely just supplying the shunt trip on the main breaker, its only a couple amps at 480. You'll be looking for a 20KVA or larger unit.

Oh, and with a 10T control, it is a 1985 or so machine. 1990 would have probably been a CL machine, or at least a 0T.

Alright, well it IS a 1985 era machine. I got ripped off. The bill of sale and everything from Meriddian Machinery says 1990, but I have now noticed that the date in the cabinet has been removed.

The plate on the main motor says 8/86, which seems to fit the info direct from mori seiki.

Not only that, they sent me the machine with the chip conveyor but missing the connection cables for the converyor/coolant pump, or even the coolant tank, and then refused to replace them after being "unable to locate" the items in their warehouse. Awesome.

Anyways... the tag on the main motor is vague. However the hydraulic system motor does say 200/220v.

Here is the tag on the spindle motor. Anywhere else to look? By the way that motor is HUGE. I didn't realize that I was looking right at it for a while.

Also upon further inspection of the internal transformer, the taps are actually set at 200v and not 480v.

But why does the control panel say input 550/600v?

Internal transformer

My only guess would be at the previous company, they had a transformer on it, and put high voltage to it, although I've NEVER seen anything in shops above 490 3 phase. The place you bought it from probably lost the large step down transformer along with the coolant tank. I would find someone in your area to come look at the machine, any decent service guy should be able to get you dialed in. The hour he spends will be less than a step up transformer that I believe you don't need, or want on that machine. If the hydraulic unit says 200V, it is for sure a low voltage machine. I have never seen Mori make a machine for anything above 220 myself, when they did get an order for a higher voltage machine, they would supply a step down transformer. I've been servicing Mori's almost my whole career, and thats been longer than I care to admit.

Like I mentioned in the other thread!
    The Mori 10T print I have only shows 200v from the disconnect on.
    This is a machine used in Canada on 575/600v. many have a Fanuc transformer fitted for 460 to 200v input so the Canadian end user usually also has to supply an external 575 transformer to suit.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Like I mentioned in the other thread!
    The Mori 10T print I have only shows 200v from the disconnect on.
    This is a machine used in Canada on 575/600v. many have a Fanuc transformer fitted for 460 to 200v input so the Canadian end user usually also has to supply an external 575 transformer to suit.
    Al.
    I'm starting to believe you. I just don't want to fry something.

The rotary converter makes note not to connect the manufactured leg to the control phase of the machine. Any idea which terminal runs the controls on the AL2?

That is in the prints for sure. I believe L1 and L2 are to the power supplies, L3 are for the rest. There should be two small wires coming out of the TOP of the breaker. Thats the Shunt trip, and those should not be a manufactured leg.

Okay, well I hooked it up and am able to turn on the machine. Thanks for your help guys... however...

I am getting ER2 on the control and I'm unsure of what that means.

The terminals are E / T1 / T2 / T3

Out of T2 / T3 are two small wires, so I connected T1 to the manufactured line. I don't seem to get any alarms... just the ER2? Check out the thread in the fanuc section.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fanuc/...tml#post927394

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help... runs fine on 240v 3phase!