585,982 active members*
4,806 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > kl-600-48 power supply low voltage on switch?

kl-600-48 power supply low voltage on switch?

I posted this in the keling forum but i think i would geta better chance for a response here.

I noticed that the kl-600-48 power supply has a remote control on the R.C.G. and R.C. terminals. What is this for? Could I remotely turn on the power supply with a low voltage switch? -That is truly what I would like to do.

Does anybody have any experience using these terminals on the power supply?

I did a quick check of this on the forums and didn't see any thing.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Would it be load end regulation maybe?
    Many power supplies have a couple of terminals for a pair of conductors that are run parallel to the main feed pair and monitor the volt drop on long runs, the voltage is then automatically adjusted accordingly.
    If not used, these are usually jumpered out to the respective supply terminals right at the power supply.
    Actually I looked at the site and these are the -S +S terminals, the ones you refer to do appear to be remote turn on, although how they are used does not seem to be clear, it appears they should be jumpered to turn the supply on?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I thought the same about them being jumpered to turn the power on but they are not jumpered now and the supply has power when plugged in! One of the terminals does have +5 volts and the other appears to be a ground.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

This is a Meanwell SP-500 series supply.
    www.meanwell.com/search/sp-500/sp-500-spec.pdf
    The spec sheet for the supply says it has a remote control and: RC+/RC-: Short = power on ; Open = power off

It does appear that R.C. is RC+ and R.C.G is RC-. I'd try jumpering them and see what happens. Wouldn't be the first time a datasheet from Meanwell had it backwards.

S+/S- appears to be the remote sense inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by brtech
    This is a Meanwell SP-500 series supply.
    www.meanwell.com/search/sp-500/sp-500-spec.pdf
    The spec sheet for the supply says it has a remote control and: RC+/RC-: Short = power on ; Open = power off

It does appear that R.C. is RC+ and R.C.G is RC-. I'd try jumpering them and see what happens. Wouldn't be the first time a datasheet from Meanwell had it backwards.

S+/S- appears to be the remote sense inputs.
    Well, I did a little playing around today. I shorted out the terminals and nothing happened. The terminals are not labeled the same as the manuals I've seen so far. Here is a picture of the actual ps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-2229246230.jpg  

Huh. Sure doesn't look like the Meanwell.

I don't see any terminals listed as RC and RCG. I see sense+/-

Of course you can get remote control from Mach, a Bob output and a relay!

Yeah, that is the standby solution. I was hoping for a streamlined solution. I'll probably just wire the 120v hot wire to a switch in the front of the router and then back to the ps and be done with the whole mess.

Yah, that's the easy way (and my way).

I do point out that you probably DO want Mach control for the spindle, and once you start down that road, an extra relay and output isn't much work/expense/trouble other than the fact that you need a separate PS for the relay if you do remote power control, which you don't need for remote spindle control.

Now, another idea entirely is to use a push button to turn on, and a relay to turn off the power. I'd probably have both on and off push buttons. You wouldn't need a relay power supply for that. "On" would go across the relay contacts (NO). Off would go in series with the relay coil (NC).